View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #59
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post
The Sullustans picked up only 4 Great Gloves. And taz20075 check out who won at Catcher:

Belt wins it for the 5th year in a row.
Pillar - a decent year at the plate (.265 / .300 / .465 with 10 HR and 73 RBIs) - wins for the 6th year in a row.

I started Nellie Fox for the first time for the entire year and he pulled through defensively, although a real slug at the plate (.234 / .287 / .312). And actually I didn't realize how poorly he played batting third in the lineup! But he got a Great Glove so all is forgiven.

And Izz wasn't kidding about Kevin McReynolds. (Thanks for the recommendation, man!) He replaced Kiermaier and came through with the Great Glove, but also at the plate, slashing .262 / .303 / .422 with 21 homers (tying for the team lead with Nolan Arenado). He also led the team in WAR with 3.8.

//

Experiments like this will have to continue in the presumably tougher environment of Gold. Not only did the Sullustans make the playoffs (coming in as a Wild Card after forcing a 163rd game), we won the whole kit and caboodle, going 21-4 in our last 25 games including the regular season. After winning the 163rd and the Wild Card game, we swept the next two series and then won the WS 4 games to 2. So yeah, I'm only slightly disappointed at the 4 Great Gloves.
Congrats!

Only 1 GG for me this season. Nellie Fox, which was a surprise, as I thought he was outperformed by a couple other guys in my diamond league. But I'll take the PP.

Aparicio put up a +19.9ZR at SS but that was only 4th-best in our conference. He was beaten by his clone on another team plus 2 Simmons'. Still, his range was over 5, which I don't think I've seen before on my team from a guy who started 135+ games.

Re McReynolds, yep, he's got pop, especially vs LHP. He hit 34 for me at Gold level 1 season and 28 at Diamond last season. Still, I swapped him out for Garry Maddox halfway through this season. McReynolds' low contact, poor eye and poor avoid Ks hurts him at the higher levels more than his power can make up for.

Maddox has the same range as McReynolds, but will make a couple more errors and doesn't have as strong an arm. His eye and Avoid Ks aren't great either, and he doesn't have any pop, but he's a good gap hitter, will put the ball in play plenty, and is great on the basepaths.

I'm keeping McReynolds on the reserve roster, though, just in case.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report

Last edited by Izz; 03-04-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote