View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 03:05 PM   #49
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Did not know that Nate Colbert was a CF prospect with the Cardinals organization. I remember him a power hitting lumbering 1B with the Padres..
I could see him as a corner outfielder but certainly not a CF from what I remembered but we were both wrong.

Looking at baseball reference Colbert played 5 games in centerfield and 11 OF games total for Houston in 1968. He spent most of 1968 at AAA Oklahoma City and played 74 games in the outfield for that team, but it does not break down how many- if any were in CF. He also played some OF in the minors with Cardinals as an 18-19 year old before going to the Astros organization so I guess that is why he got a CF rating.

In the sim it looks like the Cardinals organization sees him as their centerfielder of the future as Don Mincher at first base is just 27 and had a decent year (.277,27,95) so Colbert's path there is likely blocked for a while. Ken Boyer (.337,19,73) is 34 years old so 3B might a future spot for Colbert. However, the Cardinals might also be looking at Arthur Deras as their third baseman of the future after the year the 19 year old put up as a teammate of Colbert's at Raleigh this season. Deras, who in real life got a couple of seasons at AAA, had a breakout season for Raleigh, batting .294 with 16 homers and 61 rbi's in 139 games.

As a side note you have to love the Cardinals pitching going forward with 29 year old Bob Gibson and 21 year old Denny McLain soon to be joined by 20 year old Steve Carlton.

As a second side note there is a bunch of talent in the Carolina League this year including Manny Sanguillen, Tony Horton as well as late call-ups from low A Hal McRae, Johnny Bench, Bernie Carbo and Bob Oliver. The top player in the league this season is 21 year old Red Sox corner infielder George Scott. The Winston-Salem Red Sox player led the Carolina League in homers (30) and rbi's (117) while batting .300.
Attached Images
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote