View Single Post
Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Double A)

Your 2017-18 Stanley Cup champions are the Chicago Blackhawks! After a hard-fought 6 game series, the Blackhawks won when Artem Anisimov potted a power play goal with 39 seconds to go in the 3rd period of Game 6! Patrick Kane took home the Conn Smythe Trophy after an amazing playoff run that netted him 15 goals and 20 assists in 25 games.

Kane wasn’t the only Chicago player taking home hardware this year, though. Here’s a rundown of the NHL Awards given out this year:

HART TROPHY
Connor McDavid, EDM(80 GP, 32-63-95)

VEZINA TROPHY
Corey Crawford, CHI (53-12-7, 1.66 GAA, 17 SOs, .925 SV%)

NORRIS TROPHY
Erik Karlsson, OTT (80 GP, 22-67-89, +22)

CALDER TROPHY
Sergei Shumakov, EDM (82 GP, 28-36-64)

SELKE TROPHY
Patrice Bergeron, BOS (82 GP, 23-61-84, 55.4 FO%, 27.71 COR-REL, 30.9 SF/60 v. 23.4 SA/60)

ROCKET RICHARD TROPHY
Alex Ovechkin, WAS (79 GP, 51 G)

ART ROSS TROPHY
Nicklas Backstrom, WAS (82 GP, 29-75-104

PLUS-MINUS AWARD
Patrick Kane, CHI (82 GP, +50)

JENNINGS TROPHY
Corey Crawford, CHI

ROGER CROZIER SAVING GRACE AWARD

Carey Price, MON (61 GP, .927 SV%)

GM OF THE YEAR AWARD
Dan Hampton, VGK (46-30-6, 3rd place in Central)

The last award was considered by many to be a near impossibility a year ago. Coming into the expansion draft, the Vegas ownership group hired Dan Hampton after his stint as an analytics advisor with the New York Islanders, and many in the industry were skeptical after seeing how John Chayka had struggled early on in Arizona. However, the young GM proved up to the challenge - assembling a roster of unheralded players in the expansion draft and making a couple of free agent splashes on July 1st to solidify a lineup that wound up 5th in the Western Conference overall. Hampton himself was nonplussed when informed of his award win. “I mean, I obviously appreciate that the rest of the league took note of what we were doing here in Vegas. Especially considering the limitations we had to work with, I personally was happy with what we did but it’s always nice to get the recognition from your peers, you know?”

The accolades and accomplishments for Hampton may not stop there - rumors are running rampant that head of the ownership group, Elliott Bullivant, is pushing to name Hampton as head coach for the 2018-19 season. Negotiations with current head coach Luke Richardson, coming off a one-year contract and a strong showing, appear to be at a stalemate, and it’s been said that the owners would prefer to look within for a new coach. We’ll be keeping tabs on this development as we get closer to free agency, but it definitely is a situation to keep an eye on.

(non-kayfabe: I goofed up and was originally gonna run the team as GM/Head Coach but when I was messing around in the coaches pool I didn’t realize I couldn’t hire someone listed as “head coach” as an assistant coach. godspeed, Luke Richardson, you did better than I thought you would)
dannibalcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote