View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #1
SirGreatWhite
Minors (Single A)

My 1st OOTP Dynasty - Houston Astros

As a new member to the OOTP community and newbie to the OOTP franchise I'm going to start my first franchise/dynasty mode with the Houston Astros. It's not as much of a challenge compared to the Marlins, White Sox, Blue Jays, Tigers, Royals, etc... but I am a long time Astros fan ever since my dad and I first went to games in the Astrodome back in the early 90's - I also live in Texas and they are the closest pro baseball team to where I live. So this is going to be my first attempt; I'll probably try a more challenging one once I get the hang of things.

Overview: The Astros have one of the best lineups in all of baseball and as good of a 1-2 punch at the top of their rotation as one could want with Verlander & Cole. Their bullpen has also been stellar the last couple of seasons. Their core position players are in or entering their primes (Springer, Altuve, Bregman, Correa); and finally, most farm system rankings out there have their farm system in the top 10 in all of baseball - some even rank them near the top 5. So with all of that, they are already equipped to make a serious run of success for several years.

My goal is to keep that momentum going while trying to maintain a top notch farm system for depth purposes. While the Astros aren't penny pinchers (recently) when it comes to money or market size, they certainly don't have the spending luxuries of a Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, or Dodgers market. Eventually, tough contract decisions will have to be made with so many quality players coming close to free agency and end of arbitration years. When the time comes, we will need to use the quality depth and continue to develop the minor league talent already in place as well as draft well, make smart international signings, and make trades for quality prospects when necessary.

More to come...
SirGreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote