Thread: Trout and War
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #25
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
The pictures here kind of show what i'm thinking about. When comparing these two players, the second is Trout, I look at it and say player one is by far the better player. (Defense aside for right now). That's what I mean by seasons that stand out.
But if you don't adjust for context, then you're going to come to the conclusion that all the players that play in the better hitting parks are also the better hitters. There's a reason Trout's career OPS+ is 25 points higher than Cabrera's. Over the last decade, Comerica has been a MUCH better hitter's park than Anaheim. And yes, a couple of points of that difference is because Miggy was old and injured for the last 3 seasons.

But if your combination of park adjusted On Base % and Slugging % is better as a CF than a perennial Triple Crown candidate 1B, steal 25-30 bases a year and are a pretty good defensive CF, then it's a no-brainer which player is better in every facet of the game. Put Trout in an average or better hitter's park and his raw numbers would be even better.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote