View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #201
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

1908 Hall of Fame

This is the first year with legitimate Hall of Fame candidates. We'll look through each career and determine which ones will be memorialized. I do have a WAR target based on real-life percentages of each position and long-term tests I've run with the league, but those may not work until the league is a little more mature.

My philosophy is basically WAR/WPA-based. In the real-life MLB, approximately 1.5 to 2% of players are elected into the HOF, so that's what I'm aiming for here. That changes based on position - it's closer to 2% for RF and below 1% for relievers. I've found that OOTP will far over represent relievers in the HOF - more will be elected in 20 years than in the entirety of MLB history.

The targets I'm looking for in terms of career WAR are about 62 for SP, 28-30 for RP, 35 for C, and then somewhere around 40 for all other position players. This all depends on how well they compare to their contemporaries. Overall the idea is that the statistically best 1.5-2% of players at each position are elected into the HOF.

Players are eligible immediately upon retirement and only have one voter - me.

I am trying to go into the editor to change the players who retire as Free Agents and put them in the uniform of the team they will be representing in the Hall of Fame. Hopefully it doesn't mess anything up.

Name:  CelioCabedoPlaque.PNG
Views: 244
Size:  280.3 KB
Celio Cabedo, RHP - He retires as the second best pitcher in Major League history, surpassed only by his contemporary J.P. Avila. The league began right in his peak years which he maintained until an injury setback with a torn labrum ended his career. He was an MVP, 7-time Pitcher of the Year, 8-time All-Star, and 2-time World Series Champion.

Career MLB Stats: 272 G, 424 BB, 1364 K, 1.99 FIP, 69 FIP-, 66.5 WAR

Steve Gardiner, LHP - Gardiner falls just below the HOF level. His 44.6 WAR ranks currently as 11th all-time, amassed over a 9-year career with the Tigers, Brewers, and Reds. He made 5 All-Star teams.

Career MLB Stats: 274 G, 585 BB, 1122 K, 2.45 FIP, 86 FIP-, 44.6 WAR

Luis Magallanes, RHP - Magallanes lost out on some of his prime years since the league was not yet formed and then faded too quickly in his 30s. He won the very first NL Pitcher of the Year Award, was a 4-time All-Star, a World Champion, and won a Gold Glove in 1901.

Career MLB Stats: 223 G, 287 BB, 608 K, 2.47 FIP, 86 FIP-, 36.8 WAR

Bobby Rogers, RHP - Rogers had a career year in 1902 and a good 8-year career as a number 1 or 2 starter, but falls outside of the Hall of Fame.

Career MLB Stats: 261 G, 474 BB, 867 K, 2.69 FIP, 95 FIP-, 32.4 WAR

Josh Elicerio, 3B - Early in his career, Elicerio was the leader in hits and triples. His contact, gap power, and speed combined as a lethal offensive weapon - culminating in the still MLB record 60 triples in 1900. He made 2 All-Star games and was a 3-time Silver Slugger. Blue Jays fans no doubt still remember his 1903 AL Division MVP, even though the team still lost the series to the White Sox.

Career MLB Stats: 3671 PA, 142 wRC+, -4.9 ZR, 20.5 WAR

Dave Wilson, LF - He was an All-Star in 1901 and a 2-time silver slugger, spending time with the Padres and Orioles. His career included 6 walk-off hits.

Career MLB Stats: 4521 PA, 127 wRC+, -54.7 ZR, 9.6 WAR

Last edited by stealofhome; 02-02-2019 at 01:30 PM.
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote