View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 11:38 AM   #202
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner_wils View Post
How do you get this to work for a Mac? I have downloaded Java but am not familiar with this program at all. i think I have downloaded it properly, when I drag the schedule generator over it says access denied. Could someone please help me figure this out
To run the scheduler on a Mac, I believe you have to drag the run.sh file over Terminal. If it's still saying permission denied, you may need to set the file to be executable. (See http://www.macinstruct.com/node/415 for information.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmel07 View Post
First of all, let me say thanks for building such a utility. I'm coming back to OOTP after an approximate 10 year layoff. Reading messages in my inbox from 2005 is insane. Enough with the flashbacks!

I downloaded the schedule generator and thought I had the hang of what it would produce, but since the results weren't as I expected, I figured I'd just ask the question and see if someone would be so nice as to comment and tell me if what I'm trying to do is impossible or not.

League Format:

1 League
4 Divisions
Division 1: 7 Teams
Division 2: 8 Teams
Division 3: 7 Teams
Division 4: 8 Teams

If it simplifies the problem I can always go to 4 eight team divisions. My goal is to play 1 3-game series against every team not in my division and then play divisional games for the remainder of the season. I was shooting for something like a 158 game season, but that's also not set in stone. When I attempted to generate a schedule with what I thought were the correct settings, I got a 205 game schedule and didn't seem to get any inter-divisional play.

Any help would be appreciated, welcome and enjoyed by me.

Thanks,
Jim
I've attached a settings file which generates something close to what you want. The scheduler can't do exactly what you'd like, because it's based on composing several round-robin or nearly-round-robin schedules. For inter-division games, teams in a given division will never play against each other unless there's no other choice, and it isn't possible to round-robin four divisions with that constraint. The scheduler splits them up into two equal-size groups and plays the groups against one another. In your case, each team will play 15 other teams in inter-divisional play.

Leaving myself a note: it occurs to me that I could probably do even better with a sort of two-stage round-robin thing, where the divisions are paired off round robin, then the teams inside the divisions are paired off round-robin. That would only work for pools with an even number of divisions, though; if there's a whole division that has a bye, breaks get too long.
Attached Files
File Type: txt settings-jmel07.txt (2.8 KB, 240 views)
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote