View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #85
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdome View Post
I'm not going to read all that discussion, seems like an easy topic. There is likely a variable somewhere that defines how often fights occur. The request is to give the user access that value so they can create whichever era they want.

I guess in my eyes I would put randomness in place that says x% of fights become line brawls and y% become bench clearing rock 'em sock 'em brawls. Then I would bump those percentages up a bit after every fight within a single game. That way a game with one fight is far less likely to have a bench clearing brawl than a game with multiple fights. If we wanted to have some real fun perhaps that percentage somehow carries forward from one game to the next to simulate how things can sometimes carry forward between to teams.

Just saying - doesn't matter how you want to play the game, just open the box a bit an give the user some control. Get carried away and you might be simming the QSPHL or the old Federal league from SlapShot. Just don't then complain about the goal totals being out of wack when you have 250 PIMs a game. [/rant]
Brillient take!! Fully agreed with this!

I'd add regarding the variable - I'd think the smart - and accurate - design would be to have separate variables that determine not only how frequently fighting occurs - but what KIND - meaning - just a pair of players square off - third-man in - multi-player - line brawl - full-on bench clear.

either way - if handled correctly, like you said, putting it into the hands of the end user to make some pre-set adjustments - we'd be able to very accurately simulate specific eras, each of which had their own very distinct style of play. the game is so different today than 35-40 years ago ... or - maybe better said - the game of 35-40 years ago was so different from today's game.
Probert24 is offline   Reply With Quote