View Single Post
Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #50
ryanivr
All Star Reserve

Also, as far as owner personalities go...

In my solo league now, I'm not currently managing a team, so FireManagerX and the "owner patience" value is something I'm not really thinking about, even though I realize the value can be used in the app for something...

But I certainly have been thinking about how the owner spending value can be integrated into Accountant X.

I've been working on something very similar to what you have created, although I'm still much happier with the results you're system comes up with.

Anyway, one thing that has been bugging me in OOTP11 is just how much the owner spending can impact the budget of a small market team. For example, I have a team in St. Paul. I think I gave them a "4" in market size. After 10 years though, the market size remained constant (which is great), but because the owner had a 10 under owner spending, they were the #2 payroll, above teams like New York (15 market size), Brooklyn (15), Chicago (12) and another Chicago team (12).

So, at least in my mind, what I did was add a modifier from (-0.05) to (0.04), with (-0.05) equaling a 1 owner spending value, (-0.04) equaling a 2, etc. etc.

That way, to make an easy example, the Yankees with their 200,000,000 payroll and a 10 owner spending value, would get an extra 8,000,000 in their budget. That seems reasonable to me. That way, the owner might reach into his pocket to outbid someone or extend a key free agent, but won't single-handedly inject enough cash to buy a whole infield's worth of superstar free agents. He'll need the market and attendance to be able to do that.

Just any idea for you to think about. You definitely know more about this than I do, so maybe I'm undervaluing the importance of owner spending?
ryanivr is offline   Reply With Quote