Thread: Moneyball
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #67
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by justpatrick View Post
The problem is that back then no ballplayers were millionaires and all but the biggest stars had to work normal jobs in the winter. Add that with some rather greedy and frugal owners, such as Mack and Comiskey (strangely enough, former players themselves) and you have the perfect climate for making a little money on the side.

I think it would be fun to make a "fishy business" team if there were enough cards to fill it. You could have the Black Sox of course, and Heinie Zimmerman, who already has a card, Hal Chase at first, Carl Mays, Joe Bush, even John McGraw himself was rumored to be a bit shady. You could add in Eddie Collins, whom everyone thinks played it straight but nonetheless was on both the ´14 A´s and ´19 White Sox. That´s some good players there!

My buddy and I started a 1901 historical OOTP last year and we're still going in 1942. We started GM'ing the Phillies to start the game and at one point had Hal Chase then Chick Gandi As we were swilling some beer I mentioned "I wonder how many games we've lost with those two clowns on the team.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote