View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
cavebutter
All Star Starter

What I did, nearly a million years ago:

I printed out the entire online manual and put it in a binder. I highlighted, annotated, and read it cover to cover before I even purchased the game. I then proceeded to create the most complex, convoluted fictional game I could. I tweaked everything I possibly could. I made terrible decisions. I scrapped league after league. I eventually got better at understanding the game, but never stopped creating leagues, playing them for a little while, getting a more exciting idea, and starting over.

That is one approach. If I had it to do all over again, I would start with one of the Quick Start games that come out of the box and play around with it - getting a feel for the mechanics of the game, the screens, etc. Then, I would try creating my own small league, and try to get a feel for the more advanced features and settings.

Point is, there is a steep learning curve to this game and the key to a long, loving relationship with the game is to find a way to make getting over the curve as fun as possible. I believe that the best way to do that is to start with a simple quick start and just start playing.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote