View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 PM   #13
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrtoothtiger View Post
probably a naive question, but can you change manager strategies to have an impact on simulation module results?

I ask, as I would be very curious to how manipulating the infield shift frequency would change the infield wins you've calculated. I'd hypothesize that this may lead to a larger SS advantage.

In addition, if possible I'd be interested to see how much the catcher results would change as you manipulate the "pitch around" frequency. My hypothesis is that teams that have elite catch ability behind the plate may be able to magnify the catchers impact [by framing more balls into strikes, and pitch sequencing].

as always Argonaut, great work!
I think manager strategies have an effect on sim results. I remember chazzycat testing bunting against the infield shift, which turned out to be a good strategy. I'm taking a bit of a break from the sim module, but it's something someone else could test.

Catchers are always the wildcard defensive position, and you could be right about your hypothesis. I wager catchers would rank as the most important defensive position if you're facing a team that's heavy on the three true outcomes. A full team of Joey Gallos as an extreme example. Fewer balls in play means that what happens between the pitcher and catcher becomes the most important thing on the field. More strikes, fewer balls... defensive catchers help with that as I've shown before.

It would be interesting to do this same test in a different era, for those like me who enjoy historical play in OOTP. Maybe I'll get around to it if I get the sim craving again. Any specific eras people are interested in?
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote