View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #60
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
But what you said was "draftees". If you had said he signed the following core "players" I wouldn't have had as much of an issue. So that's why I was calling out what he drafted. Not everyone he brought in.

I'll give him that he has found a couple of diamonds in the rough. But I maintain his record is mediocre in the 1st & 2nd rounds. When I look at that, I say the diamonds are more of a blind squirrel stumbling on a nut. Because the earlier round talent should be easier to spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
I mean, he drafted/signed the following core draftees to the team's post-first-Hurney-stint success: Kawaan Short, Trai Turner, Andrew Norwell, Shaq Thompson and Daryl Williams. He didn't last long enough for Christian McCaffery or Curtis Samuel to play during his tenure. And then he drafted/signed some other solid contributors, whether for Carolina or other teams, such as Tre Boston, Jeremiah Sirles, Kelvin Benjamin, and Devin Funchess. It may just be the Jets fan in me, but I'd kill for my team to have that rate of bringing in solid young players. Looks like a pretty good evaluator of young talent to me.
I do see how it's unclear that I meant UDFAs though, especially since I had the word 'draftees' in there. These posts are usually stream-of-consciousness posts I write on my phone on my breaks at work.

EDIT: To play devil's advocate to your point on early versus late draftees, early round picks are often athletic marvels drafted on that merit rather than productive college players, especially in the second round. Usually the productive but unathletic guys are falling to the mid-to-late rounds if they're drafted at all, but give me a Jarvis Landry over a DK Metcalf any day. Also, most players who go later will feel slighted, whereas some players who are drafted early can feel more secure because they're getting paid and their roster spot is safe for at least two years. Not making any excuses for Gettleman, but overall his track record in the second round isn't too bad (Short was a great pick, Funchess was close to expected production for a second rounder, Bradberry has a great season, an awful season and a decent season on his resume, Ealy was a bust and Samuel has been a decent gadget player so far), really it's just the first round.

Last edited by damientheomen3; 03-16-2019 at 07:15 PM.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote