View Single Post
Old 03-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #58
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Short & Turner are successes. He didn't draft Norwell. Williams has been a solid starter until last season when he was hurt. Shaq has been OK, but I can get OK in the 5th round. I don't need OK in the 1st. KB was dropped by Buffalo after Carolina took 2 late round picks mid season to get rid of him. How valuable is that? Funchess caught 60+ in 2017. Caught 98 in his other 3 seasons. Carolina just let him walk. How valuable is that? And the only reason those 2 were starting is because, again, DG devalues WR's. So the Panthers had nothing but retreads on the roster.

Anyone can pick someone that gets into an NFL game. That's not the problem. The trick, in the 1st 2 rounds, is to pick people that are anchored in for 7-8 years. Gettleman is not a top talent evaluator. He is mediocre. And instead of filling holes, he creates them. Why did the Panthers select DJ Moore & Donte Jackson last year? Because the team still hadn't found credible replacements for Steve Smith & Josh Norman.

This is not saying trading OBL was a bad idea. I'm saying expecting Gettleman to turn the beans he got into a Giants' treasure is a mighty high hope looking at his track record.
I pointed out multiple times that I'm including UDFAs in there. Teams oftentimes sign players they have on their draft board that they believe they can wait on because they don't think anyone else will pursue them. So Norwell absolutely counts there to me. And Williams was very good in 2017-18, while playing a premium position (which right tackle is nowadays). I didn't include KB and Funchess in my first list because they weren't great picks, but they were at one point valuable players. The last two receivers the Jets drafted in the second round combined for 55 career receptions, and for one they traded up, with their original pick ending up as Bobby Wagner. Compared to that, through my lens KB was worth mentioning for his rookie year and Funchess has passable second-round-receiver production.

I will absolutely give you that Gettleman is not strong in the first round. It was a point I thought I made in my post, but reading back it looks like I missed doing so. That does hold him back, and I was being hyperbolic in calling his draft track record 'great' based on memory over research, but I'd still call it good. He's shown he can select/sign good offensive linemen, which is a major asset in today's NFL. Where I believe Gettleman fails is not in team building from a drsft standpoint, but in in retaining players that go against the grain. It's impossible to build a successful roster of 53 quiet, upstanding citizens in the NFL. Players' platforms are just too great for that to happen. Gettleman needs put aside his pride and work with players more in my opinion (which is more about Norman and Collins than OBJ).

Since the deal, he's done well. Golden Tate is perrenially underrated and Markus Golden was a great buy-low signing. I guess where I fall on the OBJ deal now that I've had some time to reflect on it is that, while the compensation acquired was nearly worthwhile, it's just so tough to get a player of his caliber at such a premium position that it's too risky a deal for my taste.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote