View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #44
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Giants aren't directionless. Gettleman is doing the same thing he did @ Carolina. Steve Smith/Josh Norman became OBJ/Landon Collins. Gettleman believes players who line up further from the ball are less important, easily replaceable, and shouldn't take up too much of your cap space. He'd rather invest in the front 5/front 7 & thinks WR's & DB's non essential.

And he is faaaaaaaarrrrr from a draft guru. Last season's Panther roster had just 5 players he drafted over 5 yrs start. Only half of the picks he selected from the 1st 2 rounds are even with the team.

So like I said, I don't like him. Giants can have him. I just don't believe Gettleman owes anybody an explanation or a heads up on what he's thinking before he acts. Don't show your hand until the hand.
I mean, he drafted/signed the following core draftees to the team's post-first-Hurney-stint success: Kawaan Short, Trai Turner, Andrew Norwell, Shaq Thompson and Daryl Williams. He didn't last long enough for Christian McCaffery or Curtis Samuel to play during his tenure. And then he drafted/signed some other solid contributors, whether for Carolina or other teams, such as Tre Boston, Jeremiah Sirles, Kelvin Benjamin, and Devin Funchess. It may just be the Jets fan in me, but I'd kill for my team to have that rate of bringing in solid young players. Looks like a pretty good evaluator of young talent to me.

Sure, Odell's something of a headcase, but there are plenty of examples of talented headcases being strong contrbutors to teams willing to take a chance on them because the price is low. The price wasn't low on OBJ, but his status in today's NFL as arguably the league's most famous non-quarterback was going to keep it up there. It's still too low to me, and to the many Giants fans I know and talk to as well.

To see Gettleman refuse to play ball with players that don't buy in 100% in this day and age is gonna hamstring the team in my opinion. After Norman left Carolina the team went downhill with a patchwork secondary. Once again, as a Jets fan, I can tell you how ridiculously difficult it can be to get a playmaker of Odell's talent level. Whoever the QB is next, the Giants are gonna have to move up for unless they have eyes on sucking and getting one in 2020, but the team has so few weapons and no baseline on defense.

Look at the Chiefs this past season for what a top-flight offense can do with an awful defense. Obviously it's not as simple as going to get a Mahomes, but considering what was in place a young quarterback would've been well set up to have success. Now their cupboard of weapons is pretty bare considering Engram's injury history. I wish Gettleman luck because again I don't think he's a bad GM, but he needs to hit on both picks, and hit hard on one of them, for the deal to have any shot imo.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote