View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #15
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
You know what the real problem here is, don't you? Our standards of behavior have become so low that many of us don't mind that these players cheated. More important is whether their artificially inflated feats thrilled us at the time, filled ballpark seats with fannies, and sold merchandise.

So instead of concentrating on honesty and integrity, we dismiss the issue with arcane analysis trumpeted by people like the opening poster. We say "everybody was doing it, or they should have been" and we drag in other examples. "What about him? He was successful. Ya think he was doin' it too?" We recuse ourselves, saying "Who are we to judge?" because it is EASIER to do that.

When there are low or no standards of behavior, the quality of our society suffers. This explains why we were willing to have as president a man who repeatedly demonstrated that he is a lying, racist, misogynist but who got elected anyway.

I am tired of this debate, much like I am tired of the first 100 days with another 1,360 to go, if we make it. People get what they deserve, ultimately. If enough of them think Barry Bonds should be in the Hall of Fame despite what I have said above, then so be it. On this very small stage, I indeed have had my say.
Yes standards of justice have fallen. Accusation now presumes guilt. There are death penalties for minor crimes, yet criminals can be elected to high office and/or take charge of institutions.

You're barking up the wrong tree.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote