View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #2083
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

The Islandian Times
Monday, October 10, 2016

Eastshore's Ace Siegfried Selected Pro Cup MVP
What a fabulous freshmen year 35-year-old Danny Siegfried had in the Islandian Pro Alliance. He led Eastshore to an improbable regular season title in the RU East and then did the unbelievable, Siegfried propelled the Elegants to the overall Pro Cup crown with a standout 5-0 mark in the postseason. The Eastshore ace made 6 starts and posted a 1.29 ERA... Siegfried won the wrap-up game in each of the series. He also won the first game of two of the series and pitched 8 strong innings in the other game, but he did not get the decision in an extra-inning game. For his premier postseason exploits Siegfried has been named the IPA Pro Cup Most Valuable Player this year.

Why did it take so long for IPA teams to recognize his talent? Siegfried said he tried out innumerable times for clubs in Ruthlandia, but never got any takers. He said he finally stop going to tryouts. "All the scouts ever seemed to sign were the big, tall athletes with the overpowering fastballs. That just wasn't me. I depend on command and movement to get by." Elegant manager Killer Brewster finally convinced him to try it one more time this spring. "I guess I just have a great eye for talent", Brewster sheepishly said. Then he added, "Actually, I was desperate for any kind of pitching and decided to give Siegfried a chance. The rest is history."

Following Siegfried were three of his Eastshore teammates. 2B Gerry Garner, also a rookie, was second in the balloting. Garner hit .354 in the Pro Cup playoffs with 5 doubles, 2 triples, 1 home run, 12 RBIs and scored 8 runs. Number three votegetter was SS Gil Lantz, who blistered pitchers for a .537 batting average with 7 doubles and 4 homers, while driving in 7 runs and scoring 11 times. Rookie closer Jack Wilson came in fourth. He made 8 relief appearances in the postseason with 6 saves, 2.25 ERA and a 1-0 record. Wilson was another "Johnny Come Lately" - he was finally signed at the age of 35. Wilson told reporters, "Killer was the only one who ever gave me a chance. No one else would even talk to me."

Last edited by Eugene Church; 04-17-2022 at 05:38 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote