Thread: 1974 Lou Brock
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #25
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BidPro View Post
It may be a bit of that. Brock's arm was up there with Mays and he caught everything, I am not sure as to why his numbers would be bad.
I can't really agree with you here. Brock was not much of a defensive outfielder. He wasn't a great judge of flyballs and he made double-digit errors in the outfield just about every year (which is really hard to do). His range factors were in line or below the league average for his position even with a bunch of innings being thrown by flyball pitchers like Gibson and Carlton.

If he really did catch everything and had an arm up there with Mays, he wouldn't have been a left fielder. You would have thought a guy fitting that description would've been in CF after Flood left or in RF. Instead, the Cardinals went with Jose Cruz in CF. And Cruz wasn't exactly a Gold Glove candidate. I haven't been able to find any source, be it contemporary press, scouting reports or statistical analysis that is complimentary about Brock's defense.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote