View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
What are your standards? For Rose to make my HOF he would have to most likely have over 3000 Hits and/or .300 average.
For Feller minimum 275 wins and/or 3000 K.
The standards are based on previous player performance. The idea is that an algorithm for HOF induction can be put into place that will result in a HOF that reflects the one in Cooperstown. This would include a % of inductees (batter vs pitcher) comparable to RL and a HOF which has a similar % of inductees vs the number of players with ML experience.

So, running 100 years of a deadball league would get you the same number of players in the HOF than if you ran the same number of teams through 100 years of Steroid Era settings. Same number of pitchers (approx) and same number of hitters (approx). These numbers would also be the same if you are playing with zero injuries and zero fatigue or very high injuries and very high fatigue.

These numbers would be the same no matter what aging/development settings you use, either.

As my current league is winding (running out of real players...the method could continue with fictional players, also, but I am ending it when the real guys have all been drafted) I have 75 players with 500, or more, HR. In comparison with RL, this 500 number does not mean the same thing. 650 HR is the number that is the "500 HR" for this league. Anyone with 650 HR, who is eligible, is in the HOF. There are 25 players with 650 HR, in their career.

A corresponding number to 3000 hits would be about 2775.

For pitchers, 250 wins in my league is considered a feat similar to what 300 is IRL. 4000 strikeouts in my current league is like 3000 IRL.

When I started this league, I had no idea what these numbers would look like. I didn't know if 2775 hits would be like 3000 or if 3775 hits would be like 3000.

When Pete Rose retired he was the all time hit leader. The HOF didn't come to be until 17 years after he played his last. 10 years later, he was inducted. He was 25th on the career list at that time, with 2442 hits and a .324 career batting average.

Feller was 207-144 with 4322 strikeouts in 3186.2 IP. He entered the HOF 10th on the career K/9 list. 25 seasons later, he ranks 13th on that list and also 13th on the career K list.

At this point in time, 47 pitchers have been inducted to go along with 112 hitters.
Attached Images
Image Image 
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote