View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
From my experience none of the real players will be nearly as good as IRL.
Notable players who will not make my HOF (started in 1999) Craig Biggio, 300 hits shy of 3,000. Frank Thomas, 65 HR shy of 500, Harold Baines, 2600 Hits 2846 IRL, So while all 3 of these players were still good, they are not HOF caliber. Paul Konerko, a clone of Ozzie Smith, A Clone of Rabbit Maranville & a clone of Luis Aparicio all suck in my game. The clone of Ozzie Smith had no defense ratings after 7 yrs. Now clones are different with recalc on, but many players you think will be great will be bad. Glove guys get no love in OOTP and tend to be career backups or retire after a handful of years.
Some players, especially pre 1925 players tend to be better then IRL. I have seen some players, not only in my leagues, have 200 more HR then IRL, 200 more wins, pitch 400 IP when that season IRL they had 250.
Yeah, there are some players that never seem to translate in OOTP. Bob Feller and Pete Rose are the first two who come to mind for me. Rose of course had ludicrous consistency and longevity, two things you rarely get from the game, and almost never together. As for Feller, I don't know what it is about his ratings, maybe they would be great post-1960 and it's the era working against him. Strikeout pitchers were not the norm in his time and the game settings might be working against him.

But otherwise, Babe Ruth always falls short. I think the split nature of his career doesn't work in the game. .400 hitters in general don't work in game, like Ty Cobb. Pre 1920 pitchers are usually insanely good if you play them in-era. Then there is Addie Joss who is insanely good any era I play him. I had him in the modern era and he was going 30-2 or 29-4 on a regular basis.

I know what you mean about the defensive guys. Ozzie Smith never comes off as anything special.

Some guys who regularly do well for me, roughly equating RL performance are Ted Williams (always silly awesome), Barry Bonds, Nolan Ryan, Greg Maddux (usually comes really close to RL performance).

Even with low volatility there is enough randomness there is no way to keep things close, but still somewhat random. Then again I have never played with volatility below 40 so I don't know just how close you can cut it. I just know there are some players that for whatever reason their stats and ratings don't translate in game and not sure there is much you can do about it.
"The type and formula of most schemes of philanthropy or humanitarianism is this: A and B put their heads together to decide what C shall be made to do for D. The radical vice of all these schemes, from a sociological point of view, is that C is not allowed a voice in the matter, and his position, character, and interests, as well as the ultimate effects on society through C's interests, are entirely overlooked. I call C the Forgotten Man"

- William Graham Sumner
KurtBevacqua is offline   Reply With Quote