Thread: MLB 2019 thread
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2019, 07:01 AM   #118
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post
You're amazing. Someone else mentioned that Boston's bullpen is not very good, in which you replied epically that "no but they are 6th in k-rate."
Incorrect. Boston's bullpen is 1st in all of MLB in K rate. They are ranked 6th in WAR. Neither figure remotely achievable by the worst bullpen in the American League.

Quote:
I responded that they are next to LAST in blown saves. You epically try to defend an indefensible position posting a bunch of numbers, that doesn't deal with the main point of an ineffective bullpen. Blown saves lead to losses. If you can't hold down leads, you can't win.
A bullpen's job is the same as the starting pitching, to prevent runs and help their team win games. The Red Sox pen is above average at both of those attributes.

Quote:
Everything you said after that is fluff to save face. The point is the Boston bullpen is not good which the post that mentioned it was correct. I never said anything other than that. I am so done with you.
The Red Sox have a positive record in one-run games and extra-inning games and their bullpen is 5th in MLB in wins. None of those numbers are achievable by the worst bullpen in the AL. I'll show you what the worst bullpen in the AL actually looks like for future reference.

The Orioles bullpen has a 6.18 ERA, has contributed minus -0.8 WAR, has a won-loss record of 6-17 with 14 saves, and surrenders 1.92 HR's per 9IP. All of those figures are dead last in the AL by a good margin. The Red Sox bullpen, by comparison, has a 4.37 ERA (8th), 2.7 WAR (5th), a 21-13 W-L (4th) with 17 saves, and gives up 1.24 HR per 9 IP (6th). In no facet other than blown saves are they even remotely bad. In summation, they have been above average and the save is about as useful a stat in determining the quality of performance as batting average or the game-winning RBI.

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-01-2019 at 07:27 AM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote