View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
webrian
Minors (Triple A)

Whenever I play a historical series between two teams who have the same player, my rule is *neither* team can use him.

For example, if I was playing your sim, neither team gets Richie Hebner. Both must rely on their depth at whatever position he played for them. This goes for position players and pitchers.

If the 1973 Oakland Athletics play the 1977 New York Yankees, neither team gets Reggie Jackson or Catfish Hunter.

If the 2002 Giants play the 1992 Pirates, neither team gets Barry Bonds.

If the 2001 Diamondbacks play the 2004 Red Sox, neither team gets Curt Schilling.

So on and so forth.

I only make exceptions if the player was way more integral to one team than the other. Like, if a position player had 300+ more ABs for one team than for the other, then he can play for the team he had way more ABs for. This way, if the 1973 Mets play the 1954 Giants, Willie Mays wouldn't get benched for the 1954 Giants just because he played a reserve role with the Mets in his twilight years.

It might seem a harsh rule, but it has worked out well. Of course, a lot of OOTP SIM-ers don't mind seeing a star slugger or star pitcher play or pitch against another version of himself. That's fine. That's probably the easiest way to go. But it bothers my sense of verisimilitude, so I don't allow it.
webrian is offline   Reply With Quote