View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #6
legendsport
Hall Of Famer

The rest of the 1891 season passed in a blur. Rufus finished the season with 23 wins against just 7 losses and an ERA of 1.93 while also doing fairly well at the plate, hitting .341 in just over 300 total at-bats.

As the season was winding down, Bill Wells returned to Savannah for another look at Rufus. Rufus, by now much more comfortable with performing with scouts in attendance, and carefree due to his recent engagement, turned in a three-hit shutout against Charleston (his arch-nemesis John Jones had all three hits for the Maroons).

As he finished shaking hands after the last out had been recorded, Rufus saw Wells waiting near the dugout. He headed that way.

"That was one brilliant game, Mr. Barrell," Wells said by way of greeting as he shook Rufus' hand.

Rufus wiped the sweat from his brow while saying, "Thanks," and adding, "It's good to see you again, Mr. Wells."

Wells smiled and said, "I have here a telegram I think you'll be interested in reading." He reached into his pocket and pulled out the familiar yellow Western Union slip.

Rufus took it and read: To Bill Wells, Grand Hotel, Savannah, Georgia. You are authorized to offer Mr. Rufus Barrell the sum of $300 to sign a contract for the 1892 season with the Brooklyn Bigsby club. Signed Miles Bigsby.

Rufus felt his mouth widen in a large smile. "Well, now, that's the best news I've had all week."

Rollie had come up behind Rufus and read the telegram over his shoulder. He whistled and said, "Son, I reckon right now you're happier than Ol' Blue layin' on the porch chewin on a big ol' catfish head!" Then he slapped Rufus on the back, looked at Wells and asked, "You got one of them telly-grams in your pocket for me, Mr. Wells?"

Wells shook his head and said, "Sorry, Rollie, I only have the one telegram."

"Well, shoot. I heard that Mr. Bigbsy's so rich he buys a new boat when he gets the other one wet. You'd think he could peel off a few greenbacks for ol' Rollie."

Wells looked both dumbfounded and speechless. Rufus was still smiling - he knew Rollie was just "getting his goat" but Wells might not have known.

Rollie draped an arm around Rufus' shoulders and drawled, "Son, when you get up to Brooklyn, you tell them Yankees that without me around to set you straight you wouldn't know whether to check your butt or scratch your watch."

Chuckling, Rollie headed off to the clubhouse. Wells looked after him quizzically and said, half to himself, "That guy is really something else, you know?"

Rufus nodded. "That he is," he said and then added, "You know, he's not a bad player. Maybe you could put a good word in with Mr. Bigsby?"

Wells shook his head and said, "I can't wait to get back to Brooklyn."

As Wells climbed the grandstand steps, Rufus noticed that Joe Reid was not in the dugout. And Alice wasn't around either. Usually one, or both, would be waiting to talk with him when a scout was around.

He headed for the clubhouse, whistling happily.

As he walked through the door, someone dumped a bucket of water over his head.

Spluttering, he turned and saw it was Rollie.

"Now that you're about to get to the big time, I wanted to make sure you wouldn't drown with your nose stuck so high in the air," he said with a smile. Rufus noticed that the rest of the team, including Joe and Alice were laughing at him.

He feigned anger and pointed a finger at Rollie and said, "Rollie, you're as windy as a sackful of farts!"

Rollie laughed and said, "Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit! I knew I was rubbin' off on you, son!"

As his team mates crowded in and began slapping him on the back and congratulating him loudly, he saw that Joe looked less than thrilled. Once he managed to extricate himself from his friends, he wandered over towards the Reids.

"OK, what's wrong?" he asked, trying - and failing - to keep the smile off his face.

Joe shook his head. "I knew that Bigsby would make an offer. I was hoping you'd have the good sense to turn it down."

The smile dropped off his face and Rufus asked, "Why would I do that? This is my chance, Joe. Now that Peaches - I mean Alice - and I are getting hitched, I can use a steady income."

Joe nodded, though he was still frowning and Alice looked uncertain.

"That's true, Rufus. But I warned you about the Bigsbys and their dirty money. And Brooklyn is an entirely different world than what you're used to, you know."

"Aw, shoot, Joe, money's money. I can't turn down this opportunity."

Joe sighed and said, "I heard that the Chiefs might make an offer. Maybe you should wait before agreeing to the Bigsby offer."

Rufus was surprised - "The Whitneys might make an offer? Are you sure about that? I mean, Wash said he liked me, but..." He petered out, as he was struck by the thought that Joe, of all people, would prefer he work for William Whitney over Miles Bigsby.

He looked at Alice. "And what do you think? This decision will impact you just as much as it will me," he asked.

She shrugged and said, "Well, my father has a point about the Bigsbys. They're not trustworthy. And I wonder too how you'll like Brooklyn. You've spent your whole life in Georgia - even our road trips haven't taken us farther north than South Carolina. One week in Philadelphia isn't the same as living in Brooklyn."

Rufus shook his head. "I thought you'd both be happy for me. This is my chance - I don't see how I can turn it down on the chance that the Whitneys will make an offer." He turned to Joe - "And I thought you hated William Whitney, what's changed?"

Joe shrugged, "Nothing's changed. All I will say about Whitney is that he runs a first-class organization. Bigsby's always looking for an angle. Whitney might have done me wrong, but maybe that was an isolated incident."

Rufus threw up his hands and said, "I plan on signing the contract with Brooklyn."

Alice nodded grimly and said, "And I will stand by you. If we're to be married, we need to trust each other." She took his arm and he felt his heart swell with love for her.

Joe hung his head and said, "I hope it works out for you, Rufus. You know I love you like a son and only want the best for you and my Peaches."

Then he turned and grabbed his hat and trudged towards the exit.

- Rufus Barrell, 1891 Savannah Sycamores
- Joe Reid (as a player with Toledo, circa 1887)
- Rollie Daniels, 1891 Savannah Sycamores

Figment League - A fictional history of baseball - Want to join in the fun? Shoot me a PM!

Read the story of the Barrell Family - A Figment Baseball tale

The Figment Sports Universe - More Fake Sports Than You Can Shake a Stick At!

Last edited by legendsport; 06-16-2019 at 09:26 AM.
legendsport is offline   Reply With Quote