View Single Post
Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #2805
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I appreciate the enthusiasm. *Somebody*'s gonna have some …!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
I think my point was that they do NOT control their own destiny.....they need to play great AND get some help.....
Well, we *do* control our own destiny; but as indicated, 5-2 against Boston and Indy in the final week is unlikely to cut a big enough slice of cake. Just like sweeping the Loggers is a must now. 9-4 is probably not gonna be enough given that we trail *two* teams rather than one. Oh and by the way, we have a losing record against both Indy and Boston this year.

It would also help if they would as a general rule of thumb score more than negative eleven runs from their three on, no out situations, and would plate more than 2.9 runs per game for nitty-gritty Rico Gutierrez. One of those numbers is actually true.

I think (and thought right away) that losing Ramos (AGAIN!) did them in, no matter the wonky pitching. Ramos is a career .322/.418/.420 bat and steals two bases per five games he appears in. Ramos is a first-rate difference maker. Ramos is irreplaceable. He is a consistent stir on the opposition and the Raccoons (or any other team!) have nobody to replace him. Not even close.

Alberto Ramos has also missed 60 games on average for the last three seasons.

Colombian Yeshiva Rambam alumnus Juan Magallanes is hardly in the same species compared to Ramos, let alone a comparable ballplayer. Butch Gerster? Last year's Butch Gerster might have briefly, superficially plastered over some of the cracks. This year's Butch Gerster is a damn crack. The Raccoons shoved about 1,000 to 1,400 at-bats down some damn cracks this year, depending on how much wheel spin you get from Elias Matias Tovias Diaz (David Vinson part deux). Tovias is defensively unremarkable, but pitchers like to work with him and say he helps them make smart decisions. It is hard to put a metric on that. And Rafael Gomez? He batted .288/.337/.472 just *two* years ago. I have no idea what happened there.

Maybe we should finally have the lead paint scraped off in the clubhouse??

Quote:
If Indy takes 2 of 3 from Boston (and loses 2 of 3 to you), they still have 7 other games (he does not show one of their remaining games)
Whoopsie. I removed the wrong piece o' string there. The Indians play four with the Crusaders; their Thunder games were done on the weekend.

Quote:
At least finish ahead of those Lady Canadiennes....
(brashly swipes the smiling plush elk with the wiggling antlers out of Chad's paws)

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.

Last edited by Westheim; 04-09-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote