View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #75
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snider&Hodges View Post
I just recently found this thread and want to echo the thoughts of others who have mentioned that this is a really great read. Thanks Tiger Fan.

I may have missed mention of him previously, but could you speak more on Duke Snider and how he has or did end up your sim? It looks like he likely came up right in the middle of that '50s Philly dynasty - I'm wondering if he had pieces in those '55 and '57 pennant winners. Unfortunate that they went 40 years between pennants though!

Also, this is probably a stupid question - but I saw that you're using 3-year recalc. Does that mean the player's ratings in your sim are based on real life or on the game engine? And also - I'm new to the game - if you're using ratings based on real stats/3-year recalc, how does the game treat player ratings for players that retired in real life but are still kicking in the sim league? For instance, I saw your Christy Mathewson played until 1921, although in real life, he retired after 1916. How were his ratings treated from 1917-1921?

Sorry for the questions.

Thank you for the kind words and there are no stupid questions. It is actually a very good question and I believe (but am not 100% correct) the game development engine kicks in for players like Mathewson when they run out of 'real life seasons' to take stats from.

As for Snider he got 3 World Series rings but as Tiger rather than a Dodger.

DUKE SNIDER

Despite being released twice as a teenager, Duke Snider went on to have an outstanding major league career with the Detroit Tigers. He was a 6-time all-star, won 3 gold gloves and was a 3-time World Series Champion before retiring after the 1964 season.

Snider joined the Dodgers system as a 17 year old in 1944 but was released in June of that year despite hitting .302 for Newport News. The Giants immediately signed him and he finished the '44 season with stops in Erie and Richmond. He would spend the 1945 season in the Giants system but they cut him at the end of the year after he batted just .258 between Hickory and Richmond.

Detroit signed him and by the of the 1946 season he was at AA Dallas of the Texas League, where he hit .455 in 27 games and helped Dallas win the league title. He began 1947 back in Dallas and again hit well, batting .355 through 103 games. That earned him a late season promotion to the big leagues and the now 20 year old Snider went 1-for-4 in his major league debut in 1947. His first hit was a single off of the Brown's Hal Brecheen. Snider went 7-for-15 including his first career homerun in 11 games for Detroit that year.

He was a major leaguer to stay after that, claiming the American League rookie of the year award the following season when he batted .306 with 20 homers and 100 rbi's.

Snider would remain with Detroit until his retirement following the 1964 season. In 2,280 career games he hit .292 with 2,385 career hits, 384 homeruns and 1,434 rbi's. In real life Snider, a hall of famer, made 8 all-star appearances and won 2 World Series in a career that spanned basically the same time from -from 1947-64. Snider played 2,143 games and was a .295 hitter with 407 homers and 1,333 rbi's.

As a sidenote I was trying to figure out why the Dodgers would release him mid-season especially with the numbers he put up at Olean and Newport News. The only possible answer I can come up with is there system had a lot of highly rated (at the time) outfield prospects although most never panned out. Included in the group were Hank Bauer, 22 years old, Cal Abrams (20), Dick Whitman (24), Bud Kimball (26), George Shuba (20), Marv Rickert (23), Joe Polcha (25) and Dale Leedy (23). Still, I can't see why there wasn't a place for a 17 year old who was batting over .300 in the Piedmont League. Of course the Dodgers were not the only team to give up on so maybe there was something else. Either way, it was a big gain for Detroit and Snider teamed nicely with Minnie Minoso and a young Al Kaline on 3 World Series winners.
Attached Images
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote