View Single Post
Old 11-14-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
Leafs67
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
I have been perusing FHM3 and I am intrigued. I was a huge hockey fan (I started on the Kansas City Blades and their brand new NHL affiliate, the SJ Sharks), but kind of fell off thru the years. I know the basics of hockey such as the line changes, basic stats, the "sin bin", the penalties, the teams...kind of the upfront stuff. So if I got FHM3, how do I get my toes wet? How should I maneuver thru it to get into the teeth of the game and the NHL? Can the community here advise me on how to start and learn? I thought about watching an entire season play out and learning as the season progressed.
Thanks!
The way I started was using historical mode, mostly because that's the mode I like best, but I think it did help me become more adept at the game. It's an easier, smaller to maneuver database that makes the game a little less overwhelming. Having players who have more predictable growth, whether you use the real life attribute modifier or the FHM growth/decline system, is a bonus. There is a smaller chance of busts when you can look back and see which players will become good. It can also be easier to jump in right away with a true powerhouse dynasty, like the 70s Canadiens, 80s Oilers, or 50s Canadiens so that you will have success even if you kind of suck at first.

If your goal is learn more about the current, modern NHL, then I'd advise just jumping into Sandbox, taking over a team, and giving it your best shot. Maybe turn off Fog of War so that you don't need to depend on your scouts, so you can really get to know the players and their abilities. But I think immersing your self into the game is the best and quickest way to learn it. You'll only get better at it if you make mistakes and learn from them. Go on Sandbox, and play around. Try different tactics, different trades, etc. and you'll become an expert in no time. Hope that helps.
Leafs67 is offline   Reply With Quote