View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #150
Statsman1
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore4807 View Post
I mostly agree with you how DLC has turned out - it is mostly a money grab. An Economics class taught me many years ago that it was roughly 1/3 research and production, 1/3 packaging and distribution, and 1/3 overhead and profit made up retail sales. Then around 20 years ago it became a 40/20/40 split, and today when the consumer should theoretically be seeing a 15% reduction in distribution costs due to DLC - prices go up even higher...

But not everybody is thieving, and DLC still should become a mainstream way of e-commerce for a lot of items in the near future.

Just my $.02
I think there's a distinction between DLC that I CHOOSE to play (say, a new mission in a video game) or DLC that I NEED to play (imagine if OOTP supplied ONLY the Major League rosters for $X, but charged an additional $Y for the ability to configure your own league).

I wouldn't pay anyone extra $$$ for content I could create myself, and I certainly wouldn't pay extra $$$ for functionality that I felt should be included in the base price.

But DLC, on its own, isn't a bad idea at all. You don't have to pay it, but you don't get to enjoy the benefits of it, either, if you don't pay for it. I love the Dragon Age franchise, and have no problems at all paying for the DLC AND enjoying the mods community's efforts for free.

Just don't short-change the base game, make sure that everyone is happy with the base content, and then DLC will be regarded for what it really is - extra $$$ for extra content.