View Single Post
Old 06-24-2019, 06:22 AM   #2937
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
How was your silver Scherzer? (HRs?) Time to look for a SP with higher movement?

How was your silver Rose? I have had good luck with the Gold card but on some teams it is hard to find a long term position for him due to weak defense.

I tend to focus on Pitching first but it can backfire since it can also get you promoted faster and then you lack the hitting to keep up.

Nice problem to have....10k to spend on new talent.
I have a lot of suggestions below. One of the great things about OOTP is that you can make these changes over time; no need to upgrade everyone at once (other than our natural impatience). So here we go!

At higher levels I find guys with yellow contact ratings tend to do poorly (HoJo is my poster child for this). I would say try to upgrade the guys in that position - Fielder, Versailles, (will check others). For 1B you have a lot of choices depending on whether you want to go more contact-hitter or more longball hitter.

83 OVR Carew
77 OVR Keith Hernandez (I *think* that's the good one)
heck I've played the 69 OVR Carew there - he gets up to the mid 50s in defense and he hits like crazy, and is cheap

Longball
89 McCovey
78 Cecil Cooper -was cheap before collections came out
78 F Howard if you care not at all about defense

I don't find the combination of Campaneris and Versailles to be a good one. Campaneris is only green at SS and Versailles has too low contact. If you're going to go with a green SS then pick someone who can hit better. like the 89 OVR Yount (was around 4.5k before collections). Or if defense is more important there's the 82 Concepcion, 82 Tony Fernandez, or the 78 Groat, who is also a great hitter there.

In LF you can do better than Bo Jackson, I think. There's a ton of guys who can make better contact who are rated green/blue in LF. I'd start looking for one of them. The cost for a guy like that is in the 2k range (since there are tons of them). Heck you can take the 69 OVR Tony Gwynn and train him up to 95 in LF if you wanted, that card is relatively cheap and will hit for you forever.

If Dom DiMaggio is a defensive sub he's great. If he's playing more than that, it's not too great.

I actually find Silver Scherzer and Rose both to be very good cards. I was going to upgrade Scherzer on one of my teams but I ended up moving him to the bullpen. And the Rose card has very good defense in LF. Both of those guys were/are on my Venusville team, whose philosophy is "don't replace a player until it's clear he isn't performing any more"

Last edited by Charlatan; 06-24-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote