View Single Post
Old 10-25-2005, 08:28 AM   #5
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol
kq, I hope people use this more than the interactive listing that I put up on ootp411.com

Best of luck.
Thanks, but even if no one ends up using it, it won't have been for not. For awhile now, after seeing everything other leagues and BOSI were able to do with php and mysql, I wanted to learn them. After reading a bunch of tutorials I felt I had a decent grasp of the basics, but I was pretty sure that I'd learn a great deal more in trying to figure out how to solve problems I would likely encounter with a project. I wasn't disappointed, frustrated at times maybe, but not disappointed. I like learning things and I like building things, so this was a perfect little project to do in my spare time.

Up until very recently, I was never even sure it would get to the point of being good enough in my opinion to be released. And that was perfectly alright because the payoff didn't depend on that. I honestly didn't even think it would get this far in the beginning. But with 15 minutes here, a half hour there, eventually it adds up and with a little luck you get something.

Besides, the old OLD had 230 records, my excel one had 73, and theasfl's recent one had something like 170 last I checked. Now whether a lot of people are using them to find leagues to join I don't know, but I do know I've used them on a number of occassions to look things up like site and email addresses and then visit forums. And I imagine a number of others have as well. With more leagues and more information though (if anyone thinks I entered all that data, I didn't, I just imported the vast majority of it), I think people will use it from time to time.

I also included a field to differentiate between solo and multiplayer leagues thinking that the dynasty people might like to have something like this as well, but I haven't brought it up until now as I'm not sure how both groups would take that (I'm more concerned about our group's reaction than theirs as I have this impression of them being more mature). If it does take off for them as well, then it might be that much more useful though.

But yeah, even if no one uses it from this moment on, that's fine because I've already got my reward.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote