Thread: Free Agents
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Free Agents

Hoping maybe I can get some feedback from others in regards to an free agency issue that's been driving me crazy.

I play mostly random debut. I don't use minor leagues, I use reserve rosters.

The problem I'm having is players remaining unsigned when the season begins. Lot's of them. These players are bad to very good in quality and they aren't simply old guys looking for that last one year deal to ride out their careers. I've had a 28 year old Pete Rose remain unsigned. A 30 year old Joe Mauer. I've seen guys like Dennis Eckersly, Rollie Fingers and Aroldis Chapman remain unsigned, all in their primes. Thing is, these guys will sign, usually before May rolls around, but they only sign a one year deal, so once it happens it usually happens year after year after year.

Now what I'm seeing in regards to this is, once the free agency period begins in a random league, players will sign like normal up until December 31st. But, once January 1st rolls around, it's like the signing valve get's turned off and there are very few if any signings between the 1st and opening day. There are never any signings from day one of the preseason till opening day. ZERO!

So, is this a random debut issue or are others seeing this in historical leagues, fictional, quickstarts, etc.? This issue has me using the reserve clause, as the unsigned players drive me nuts. Is this an attempt to simulate the Keuchel, Kimbrel situation from this year? If so, I'm not a fan. We have no clue whether that type of behavior by gm's is going to happen every year from now on. We do know it hasn't been the norm in years past.

Last edited by David Watts; 10-22-2019 at 10:18 AM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote