View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #16
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
I've been looking and looking and cannot figure out what the "Tag Controls" item in the views does.

If it is active, then you get a little tick box to the far left of your list, but I cannot figure out if ticking does anything or how to take the next step with it, for example telling it to only display ticked rows or something like that.
It's mostly used to perform actions on multiple players at once. For instance, to release a bunch of guys, shortlist them all, or demote a bunch of guys to the same lower tier. Tick all the players you want to be affected, and then perform the action (via right-clicking one of the selected rows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthropoid View Post
I've been perusing Wikis page on batting order and developed my own little 'system' to decide who to put in the #1, #2, #3 and #4+ slots.

The thing I'm puzzled by is, when I ask my manager (who is one of the highest rated in the game, with Outstanding ratings on all indices) he gives me a lineup that is almost exactly the opposite of what I'd think (based on my read of the logic in the wiki page, which seems quite logical to me) would be the best lineup.
Yeaaah, the AI is notoriously bad at that no matter the manager's skill, I find. My manager put a shortstop with 2 speed as my lead-off hitter once. Never used the AI lineups again after that.

I don't really "do" stats to the level you go on to describe in your post, so I can't really comment on that, but from your descriptions you seem to have the right idea. Or rather I should say, you seem to have a similar idea to me.

I'm not really sure if matters too much though. I mean, the only guarantee after all of the umming and aahing is that your lead-off guy is going to lead-off. Once. After that anything can happen and all your planning will go out of the window pretty quickly.

The absolute best you can guarantee from tinkering with the batting order is 4 runs (grand slam homer by the cleanup guy). And if that does happen then your #5 guy is a lead-off hitter next inning. Or all three could strike out and your #4 guy becomes your lead-off, which is usually a terrible thing, as all the attributes that make him a great #4 (size, strength) usually make for a terrible #1 (speed, agility).

I've often wondered if it's not better to stagger speed and power through the lineup. Have the lead-off followed by the traditional #3. Then the second speediest guy followed by the traditional #4, etc. That way, you're guaranteeing at least once per inning (rather than once per game) that a guy capable of stealing bases will be followed by a guy capable of advancing him. This is based on the theory that even if the first batter of the inning ends up being a power guy, he'll be followed by a speed/power combo. But even that only works until you run out of speed and power (quickly, usually).

Last edited by monkeystyxx; 03-01-2015 at 09:25 PM.
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote