View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #372
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Seriously? You mean I knew, you knew, everyone on this forum knew, but the Astros were unaware? He actually said that?
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ishment-astros

Quote:
Manfred told Ravech that any discipline of the players likely would have resulted in grievances from the Major League Baseball Players Association, citing Luhnow's failure to communicate to the Astros' players the contents of a 2017 memorandum outlining MLB's policy on the use of technology.

"Well, they just didn't do it. It's in my report. The memorandum went to the general manager, and then nothing was done from the GM down," Manfred said. "So we knew if we had disciplined the players in all likelihood we were going to have grievances and grievances that we were going to lose on the basis that we never properly informed them of the rules. Given those two things, No. 1, I knew where, or I'm certain where the responsibilities should lay in the first instance and given the fact we didn't think we could make discipline stick with the players, we made the decision we made.

"Having said that, I understand the reaction. The players, some of them in a more articulate way than others, have said, admitted they did the wrong thing. And I understand that people want to see them punished for that, and in a perfect world, they would have been punished."

Manfred said that although it doesn't absolve the Astros' players, he believes that Luhnow and Hinch were obligated to inform them of the memo and enforce MLB's rules.
Yes this guy actually said that with a straight face.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote