View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #57
Henry
Hall of Fame

<< fyi >>

In 1907, the PCL reduced to only 4 teams - partially because of the chaos of the San Francisco earthquake the year before, including a loss of fan interest as a result of teams playing in non-home parks and the huge financial and resource drain on the Western economy as the city was rebuilt. League management was concerned about the possible breakup of the league, and thus decided to cut back to four teams to stabilize the league.

The Seattle and Fresno franchises were dropped. Seattle due to its interest in joining the popular Class B Northwestern League, and Fresno (losing a lot of fan interest since Oakland was playing on their home field) disbanded.

My original intention in playing out the PCL was to treat the league as an independent league by breaking its tie with the MLB - and its constant loss of players to the bigger organization... letting the PCL players play out their careers in the PCL.

Since in RL Seattle went to the NW League and Fresno disbanded, the logical choice would be to dump the Fresno players to free agency and retire the Seattle players (since the roster would go with the team). That action, however would loose league leaders like Harry Lumley and Truck Eagan. In real life Lumley experienced a series of injuries that ended his career in the majors by 1909, and Truck Eagan was to retire in 1909 at 32. Personally I really don't want to cut off their careers in 1906 when my replay could bring them different outcomes.

So, I will put both rosters into the free agent pool and see where they go from there, basically ignoring the fact Seattle went to the NW league in order to keep my original plan intact.

Just as clarification for those interested, the 1906 season was reduced to 180 games to represent the 2-3 weeks the league shut down after the earthquake. In 1907-08, the season will be 190 games for the remaining 4 teams, and will go back to 210 games when the league expands back to 6 teams in 1909.

Last edited by Henry; 10-04-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote