View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
professordp
Hall Of Famer

Bowie Adams

Rocco DelSesto posted a rating for Adams a few years back which I've revised. I made my own adjustments in most of the categories--some minor, others major. Perhaps the greatest change was in the area of conditioning. Rocco had him at 4 (weight problems); for reasons outlined below I changed that to 9 (head case).

Although I left Rocco's biographical information intact, I did add some additional information. What follows is sort of an overview insofar as much of the major stuff is included in the bio section.

There were many "Great White Hopes" and then there was Bowie Adams! A great sounding name, right out of Hollywood, and that might be where it came from. There are strong indications that his real name was Ron Brown.

In any event Bowie ran off a knockout streak against opponents who would have made even LaMar Clark blush! After fighting some real competition (Billy Walker, Boone Kirkman, and Jose Roman), it was pretty obvious that Adams wasn't a prime cut of beef.

He returned in 1974 after a five year "retirement" and couldn't win in ten efforts. The following is a description of the "new" Bowie Admas, circa mid-1970s:

"Towards the end of his career, Adams no longer looked like the fit, All-American, Golden Boy of his early start. His crew-cut was replaced with long hair, his clean shaven face now wore a full beard, and his lean and muscular build was now thick and heavy."

Quite an interesting character. Besides a career as a professional fighter, Adams was a Hollywood stuntman, an animal trainer, and played a monster on a kid's television show.

Take the time to visit this website for a fascinating interview with Adams.

The Wallace, Ladmo and Gerald Fan Site - Where Monsters Lurk !

The photo below was posted by me last year.
Attached Images
Attached Files
File Type: tbdx3 Adams_Bowie.tbdx3 (3.7 KB, 442 views)

Last edited by professordp; 11-22-2009 at 02:34 PM.
professordp is offline   Reply With Quote