View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 09:58 AM   #63
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
And if you ever put your self in another person's shoes, you'd realize how intimidating it is when the conversation does turn to an area you aren't familiar with. Especially when they are made to feel inferior when they don't know it.
This is a fair point
As is the point made above about casual fans not understanding the new terms that are more and more making their way into stories, broadcasts and conversions

I was in that same boat about ten years ago.
I was having discussions about baseball and didn't understand what people were talking about. Then I realized that I didn't know what I was talking about. So, I decided to study up on the advanced stats.

I was much more than a casual fan at that time and was in a position to devote a lot more time to learning about baseball than most people probably are. Most casual fans aren't going to put in the time that I did to understand baseball in a different way.

And its probably true that the people who do understand the game on this level, or, the new stats, at least, on this level should do more to remember that not everyone does, or will, because it does require a significant investment.

I love the game, and the new stats, to me, are interesting and have made me love the game more and understand it better. So, when the opportunity, like this thread, comes to explain to someone who seems to have a genuine interest in learning about it, it's great to be able to share information about the game.

When people want to learn about the game, that's great. And if people don't, that's ok and is no cause for disrespect.

But

When people come in spewing absolute mistruths.

https://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boa...4&postcount=14

And think that their ignorance somehow trumps knowledge, there's no obligation to respect that.

One can absolutely enjoy, and discuss, the game without understanding "advanced" stats. But, if they attack those advanced stats, and claim that they don't work, they are absolutely, factually, incorrect.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 09-10-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: I remembered that word
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote