Week Results
Record: 2-6
0-1 vs Cleveland
1-2 vs White Sox
1-3 vs St. Louis
Total Record: 24-19 .558
2nd Place AL East

Mantle Performance Overview
Mantle won AL Player of the Week for the 2nd time this year and in his career. He hit .441/.474/.647 with 1 2B, 2 HRs, and 10 RBIs. His OPS was 1.121.

With a little more than a quarter of the season completed, he's hitting .311/.397/.563 with a .960 OPS. He hasn't hit as many doubles as he did in reality so far, but many of those balls that stayed in the park have gone over the wall with 12 HRs. He only has 4 2Bs so far. He leads the AL in RBIs with 47. Defensively in CF, he's been solid with a +2.8 ZR. His DEF could be a little better, though, at only .989. Maybe this reflects his inexperience at the position.

I read a biography on Mantle last week while I was on vacation. I learned many interesting things I hadn't previously known about the Commerce Comet. One is that he was named after his father's favorite player, Mickey Cochrane.

Team Performance Overview
One word: putrid. A very rough start to June. Both Cleveland and Chicago are talented teams, but losing 3 out of 4 to the Browns was embarrassing. The Browns are the worst team in the AL easily. It just seemed like the Yankee offense couldn't get that hit to put them over the top in any game. All three losses to the Browns were by 1-run. They would score early and then get shutout the rest of the game by the like of Stubby Overmire.

The one guy who's really hurting this offense right now is Yogi Berra. He's the reigning Babe Ruth Award winner from 1951 and hitting like Stubby Overmire this season. His slash line is .233/.320/.327 with a .646 OPS. That is ugly. I keep expecting him to turn it on, but a new month didn't make that happen. Gotta pick it up Yogi!

I saw Satchel Paige twice in relief during the Brown's series. At 45 years old, he completely owned the Yankees in his two appearances.

League Notes
Two more no-hitters were thrown on the same day. Since it's becoming as common as the sun rising, I'm not even going to detail who did it. That makes it 5 no-hitters already in the league this season, which is the most in any season during this replay. I kinda hope the no-hitters cool off for awhile now. I like it when they're special and not when everyone's throwing one.

Up Next
The Yankees hope to right the ship with 3 vs Detroit Tuesday through Thursday. They then head out on their 2nd Western Tour beginning with 4 vs Cleveland Friday through Sunday. Maybe Yogi will start hitting like we all know he can.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
MightyVotto is offline   Reply With Quote