View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtizzle View Post
Weird. Looking at your standings it also says the White Stockings +1/2. Which insinuates they were a 1/2 game ahead not a 1/2 game back.
Usually when that happens the second-place team that is a ½-game ahead is (slightly) behind in winning percentage compared to the first-place team*. But that doesn't apply to your standings.

*Not all real-life leagues use winning percentage as the determinant of the order of standings; the Eastern League currently uses games behind, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
I know in the modern world they will make up a missed game if there are playoff implications. That would not have had to happen since Chicago was not in contention (if they did that in 1884)...
The practice of playing make up games after the scheduled end of the regular season did not start until the early 1950s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
Even more strange I looked on Baseball Reference and the 1884 Sox were 52-60 yet it says they played 113 games. I can only assume one game was suspended and never finished but the stats counted?
The other game was a tie. People always forget there are tie games in major (and minor) league baseball; it's just that they were uncommon. (Suspended games rules, incidentally, weren't invented until the 1940s, if I recall correctly, and have evolved over the years.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
So i checked the news and it does have Providence winning the pennant on Oct 8th when the standings would have been
Chicago 81-28
Providence 80-30.
So i could see Providence winning based on winning pctg.

Problem is that it was not the end of the season. I checked the real schedules and they match. Plus ootp even says the game to sim
till end of regular season on October 15th.
What's the number of games listed as being the nominal amount of games for the regular season? That is, for a contemporary ML schedule, it's 162, so that's what would be entered in the league schedule set up section. What was used for your league? That number is used by OOTP to determine the magic number—and perhaps?—when a club clinches. If yours was set to something below the maximum amount of games scheduled for any one team, perhaps OOTP was misled into calculating the wrong clinching point.

For reference, here are the schedule parameters according to the originally published schedules for each league:

NL (8 teams): 112 games; May 1 through Oct. 11
AA (12 teams): 110 games; May 1 through Oct. 16

During the AA regular season, Washington dropped out and was replaced by Richmond, which took over Washington's remaining schedule.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote