View Single Post
Old 11-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #24
thehip41
Major Leagues

Here is an example of a schedule I'm making right now.

20 teams, 4 divisions, 5 per division. They want 64 division games (team 1 plays 2-5 16 times each) Then they play every non division team 2 times..

So from that, I see that D games are 8H/8A vs all 4 teams, 16x4=64.
The Conference games, they play 15 teams 2 games = 30 games

But they cant play 7H series and 8A, uneven H/A

So I give each team 1 non division team to play 1H/1A. I just put those series first in the seaons. So you play 1H/1A vs a NonD team.

That leaves 28games(14 series) for Conference and 64 games ( 32 series) for division.

But with the 5 team divisions its tricky, you can't have all division games, 1v2 3v4 5v nobody.

So you need at least 2 conference series each schedule block. Using algebra I figured out I need x amount of blocks with 2 conference and x amount with 4 conference games.

Then I schedule all the conference games. So my schedule has 2 games or 4 games on each block.

When I get done with that, I'll go back and fill in the division series around the conference ones.

Its like Sudoku in a way.

For more generic schedules, like you have a 4 team league, 1 division, everyone plays everyone 12 times (6H/6A), I like to break things into rotations.

Block 1 1v2 3v4
Block 2 1v4 2v3
Block 3 1v3 2v4

This is obvious a pretty simple example, but you can just rotate though those lists until you get all the series scheduled.

I use excel and created a "calender" in a tab. I schedule games on specific days.

Once the whole schedule is done, I manually add the times to a column.

I created a thread in this forum not too long ago explaining how I create these things. You can check it out if you want more ideas.
thehip41 is offline   Reply With Quote