View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
kq76
Global Moderator

Are Unsolicited Advertising PMs Tolerable?

Recently someone said this wasn't exactly kosher and I kind of agree, but I was under the impression that I was actually in the minority on that. I'm not sure we've ever taken a poll on this, but even if we have maybe it's time to see if opinion has changed.

When I first started a league I struggled with this question: should I PM forum members asking them if they'd be interested in our league or should I not? I didn't really want to as I felt it could annoy some, but I felt I should to give the new league it's best chance at getting off the ground right. I asked a few people I trusted and as best as I can recall each one said go ahead so despite some misgivings I did. I think I PMd or emailed over a couple hundred members (and let me tell you it took a long time to do that!) and while I got plenty of no thanks there really was only one person who let into me for it. I felt kind of bad, but a couple others said forget about him, he's probably just grouchy anyway. If someone is wondering how successful it was, I didn't keep stats on the success rate, but my recollection is it must have been in the low single digits. In the end you have to wonder whether it's doing more harm than good and it certainly isn't a quick easy task.

Years later I now get the odd PM or email asking me to join someone's league. I never say yes (I'm very rarely interested in joining leagues anyway and the likelihood of being interested in a random league is extremely low) and I guess sometimes it bugs me if the ad is long or if I feel like I might come off as a bit of a jerk if I don't at least reply, but generally I just close it and go on to the next thing. I've thought about making an IOLD for managers instead of leagues, but the rate of things I'd like to get to and never do is pretty high and I doubt it'd get used much anyway.

So what are your thoughts on these PMs? They're fine or you'd really like to never get them?

EDIT: I'm making this a public poll so advertisers can exclude or include certain people based off it in the future.

EDIT2: This poll is more asking about those PMs coming from people whom you don't really know, messages that are more like mass emails to strangers than personalized invitations to friends.

Last edited by kq76; 04-11-2009 at 05:56 PM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote