View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #9
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Here's some date's I've found... Articles on the history of these types of stuff can be found here... Thanks to sporr for locating this for me!

Roster limits will be set at 25... the only real fluxuation in this for modern times was from 1957-68 when teams could have 28 players for the 1st 30 days of the season...

**We may or may not do this.

Waivers: The whole breakdown can be found in this link. Here's a summary of what affects us: In 1947, the price for claiming a player off waivers was raised to $10,000. We'll implement this in our first season (1946) for simplicity. Priority for selecting a player on waivers goes to lowest W/L record in the current season with previous season's record being the tiebreaker if necessary. A limit of 7 players put on waivers per team per day was implemented in '47, but we'll use it in '46. If a player is "pulled back" from waivers (after being claimed) twice in one year, the next time he is waived, a claim is irrevocable. Once a player is removed from waivers, he can't be waived again for 30 days. If a player is waived for the purpose of giving him an unconditional release, the fee is just $1. It will take 4 days to clear waivers & specific waiver periods will go into effect in '49, and there is more info for later seasons.

**We'll figure out some way to use waivers.

Option Yrs: Apparently veterans could refuse assignment as far back as 1914. Then you had to have 10 yrs pro experience to refuse assignment. In '54 it dropped to 8 yrs & in '76 to 5 yrs.

**I doubt we can simulate the major league exp. required to get the right to refuse assignment, but we will turn this option on.

Trade Deadline/Waivers: As of 1922, the trade deadline was June 15 (which is what we'll have to use in '46). As of 1934, any player involved in an interleague trade (i.e. AL to NL) had to go thru intraleague waivers first (i.e. player traded from AL to NL must go thru AL waivers first). In 1959, a period from Nov 21 - Dec 15 was created where interleague trades could be made without waivers. That time was lengthened in 1970 and another such period was created from Feb 15-Mar 15 in 1977. In 1981, that second period was extended to Apr 1. In 1986, the interleague trade distinction was eliminated, and waivers for any trade was required only from Aug 1 to the end of the season.

**Want a real challenge? Want to emulate RL baseball? Wow... we will use these rules.

"Starting in 1973, players who had been in the major leagues at least 10 years, the last five with his current club, could not be traded without their consent. In addition, in 1980, a player with at least five years in the majors could demand a trade if he was in the final year of their contract, or had been traded while signed to a multi-year contract. However, in doing so, he waived his right to free agency for a period of five years and could not demand another trade for three years. Also, he could be traded to any team except six clubs he specified. If his team did not honor his demand by March 15, he would become a free agent."

**Don't think there's any way to use these rules without coming up w/ some guidelines, because ootp doesn't do this.

Rule 5 Draft: Believe it or not, it began in some form in 1892. In '46, the price for drafting a player was $10K from AAA, $7.5K from AA and $6K from A. They didn't change until '58.

**Who knew? This is all pretty complicated stuff, but it appears that we will begin using this draft in 1946.

Amateur Draft: I began in 1965 and was held in June (which we will replicate beginning in that same year). Teams are not allowed to trade draft picks, but they were used as free agent compensation from '76 on. Draft order is based solely on W/L record. Only US residents (excluding territories) could be in the draft until 1985 when anyone attending school in the US was eligible. In '89, players from Puerto Rico or other territories were made eligible, and in 1991, Canadians were made subject to the draft.

**It does not explain what happened to non-eligible players before that, so I have to assume they were essentially free agents. I don't think I can do that because when Latin players join the MLB, Roberto Clemente for instance, I would have to add them as free agents instead of including them in the draft. I'll have to give this some thought.

**Player Bonuses will be used. See Bonuses below.

Disabled List: After 1941, a team could only place 2 players on the DL as long as it was done before Aug 1 and he remained there for at least 60 days. In '49, the minimum stay was shortened to 30 days. In 1960, a 60-day emergency list was created that required commish approval, but the player did not count against either the 25 or 40 man roster. In 1966, the required DL time was shortened to 15, but increased to 21 in '67. In '71, one player could be put on the supplemental 15 in addition to 2 players on the 21. In '73, 3 players could be put on the 21. In '81, there were 4 DL's. "the regular 21 day list with a 3-player limit, the 15 day "supplemental" list for one non-pitcher, a new "special" 21 day list to be used when the prior two were full, and the "emergency" 60 day list. In 1984, the "special" list was changed to require a minimum 30 day stay and the supplemental list was increased to allow two players, including one pitcher. In 1990, the rules were changed once again. From then on, there were only two DL's, a fifteen day and a sixty day list. There were no limits on the number of players that could be placed on these lists. However, the 40 man roster had to be full before the sixty day list could be utilized."

**I'll have to look this over, but we will try to use these DL restrictions somehow.

Expansion: This link explains the expansion drafts beginning in 1960.

Bonus: Check this out.... In 1946 (btw, did everything happen in '46?), a rule was implemented to stop teams from throwing huge bonuses to amateurs to get them to sign. If a player's bonus + salary was $6K or more, he was a "bonus player" which meant he had to be in the majors or be waived to get to the minors. If they hit the minors, they became eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. In '47, the rule was toughened by lowering the salary to $5K. In '48 the rule was softened to allow players to play 1 season in the minors before becoming subject to these restrictions. If released, they lost the "bonus player" designation. In '49, the salary limit was raised back to $6K. If he was claimed in the Rule 5 or on waivers, he could be optioned to the minors by his new team. After the 1950 season, this was ruled a failure and terminated. For the '53 season a new rule was instituted. It said a player with combined salary of $4K had to remain on the 25 or 40-man roster for 2 yrs if they started their career in the majors. If they started in the minors, they were subject to the Rule 5 draft. This was abolished after the '57 season.

**We can use these rules if we allow player bonuses and multiply the limit by 100 (i.e. $6K = $600K) to compensate for ootp using only modern monetary terms.

Last edited by Matt from TN; 05-29-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Matt from TN is offline   Reply With Quote