View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
Matt from TN
Hall Of Famer

Time Warp Prepares to Go Live

It's mid-1935 as I write this and I am still holding true to my promise to make Time Warp an online league after the end of the 1945 season, which signified the end of the WWII era when many TWB players will miss time in military service. That gives us just under 10 seasons to get prepared. My target date is still sometime in August, depending on how long the sims take me. I'm a bit bogged down at work for the next week or two, but I am still valiantly plugging away at the updates. The good news is that my family will go visit the in-laws for 2 weeks in late July, giving me ample time to sim what is needed at that time.

Now, I want to post some of my thoughts on the league as we plan to go online. I'll post my current thoughts on which ootp6 options will be used and I'll ask several questions about what you think is best.

Remember, the goal here is to mirror real life baseball history to a large degree, but allow for our own uniqueness. Franchises will move and stadiums will be built as they were IRL. But, I have some questions on some other issues pertaining to how closely we simulate history and how "fair" we want to make it for all owners.

For example, IRL the Yanks and Brewers have vastly different income levels. At the same time, Yankee Stadium's capacity of nearly 72,000 in 1937 is much greater than even Fenway's 35,000 or Wrigley's 40,000 at the time.

Questions for Discussion:

1) Should we stick with standard capacities for all stadiums (i.e. 45K) or go with more realistic numbers?

2) Should Market Size represent real city populations or be equal for all teams? I could set all capacities to 45K but let market sizes vary to mirror RL pop's during each era. Yes, I have pop. totals for each era.

**In other words, do we try to emulate RL as much as possible, or do we strive for equal footing for all teams where finances are concerned?

Anticipated League Settings:

**Some of these are debatable, as I am just posting my initial thoughts.

Financials - Off until 70's

Coach/Scout - Off

Ratings/Talents/Others - 1-10

Salary Cap - None. But with financials turned off, should there be some kind of way to monitor salaries & promote some player movement? Or should we just let teams stockpile players & trade whatever they want?

Cash Max - Not sure yet, but I'll probably go with 20-30 mill. Although if there's enough support, I could even go with 10 if people think it will help promote player movement. If we don't use this in any way until financials come on, I will reset all teams to $0 cash beginning with the first season that has free agency.

Roster Size - 25

EDIT: 40-Man - Yes, beginning in 1946.

EDIT: Waivers - Yes

EDIT: Minor Lg Option Yrs - Yes

EDIT: Rule V Draft - Yes, beginning in 1946.

Salary Arb - Yes, after financials are on.

Minor Lg Free Agents - Yes. We should have a large stockpile of minor leaguers by then. But this may be something that remains up in the air until the 70's.

Engine - new v6 engine (DIPS)

Player Eval - Default 40/35/17/8

Home Field - Enabled

Injuries - Currently set to High because I think it's more realistic. I am willing to take suggestions here, but we may stick with High for a few seasons to see how it goes.

Fatigue - On

EDIT: Ammy Draft - 3 rounds, Pre-Season. Based strictly on W/L record from previous season. Worst team in AL goes first every odd year, NL in even. Same goes for tiebreakers where teams from different leagues have same record.

EDIT: Signing Bonuses - On

New Ancestor Signup - No restrictions other than the same ones currently in place. However, once we go live in '46, I'll be more strict on their ratings. They'll be ranked in order of the date they were posted. The oldest ones get the best players. In other words, say ootp generates 2 5-star, 4 4.5 star and 6 4-star prospects to start the draft. If we have 7 new ancestors, they won't all be 5-stars, but 2 will likely be 5-stars, and the other 5 will be mixed betw. 4.5 and 4 stars.

Once Financials Come On - Some switches will be flipped as noted above (i.e. Salary Arbitration, etc). Cash on hand edited to $0 for all teams. Fan Interest edited to 65 for all teams.

**Or should Fan Interest reflect the team's performance over the past, say, 10 seasons? I could come up w/ a method if it was something owners wanted.

Last edited by Matt from TN; 05-28-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Matt from TN is offline   Reply With Quote