View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #36
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
That sounds amazing EC. I get what you mean about too many all-stars spoiling the stats soup. That's why I play random debut. Everybody's there, but Bill Bergen (by many accounts the "worst" big leaguer ever - he still had to be great just to get to the big leagues, and I guess somebody had to be "worst", but...) can be a catcher for Babe Ruth in Ruth's early days as a pitcher, depending on how you play it.

How did you get hold of accurate stats for Negro Leaguers and Japanese Leaguers? Even now, they're kind of a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma, but back then they must've been a bit of a vacant wasteland. Lots of fudging of numbers I take it?

EDIT: Of course, given that Bergen is so terrible, he'd probably spend his entire baseball existence stapled to a bench, languishing on a reserve roster, or hanging out as a free agent who gets no calls for his services, and then retires without ever getting a chance. Apparently, he was very good in the field as a catcher. He just (to be kind) could not hit.
I went to the public library and found two great books on the Negro Leagues... from them I could get a good idea of how the players, hit, ran, played defense, pitched... it was "educated" guessimates, you might say... I also found some Negro League stats that helped me, too.

As far as the Japanese players, there is an American that lives in Japan... he is an expert on Japanese players... can't remember his name, but he wrote a book and listed all of the great Japanese players and included goods stats.

In essence, I did a lot of research on the Negro Leagues and Japanese Leagues and at least got a fairly good scouting report.

I took all of this information and "penalized' the Negro and Japanese players 15% on their ratings... I did not think they were equal to the MLB players... but I think I rated a few of them too highly... look at Turkey Stearnes and Sadaharu Oh's stats in that small excerpt I posted... Oh should not have been Babe Ruth's equal.

Overall, my players ratings were fairly true to form.

I really enjoyed the All-Time All-Star Association... I lost it because of corrupt files or maybe computer malfunction... I just didn't want to have to recreate it again... sadly I didn't back up anything at that time.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 11-04-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote