View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Loompa17
Minors (Single A)

The NPBL Historical Baseball Abstract

The inspiration for this thread comes from the outstanding book by Bill James: The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract. If you are not familiar with the book, I highly recommend checking it out. In the second half of the book, James uses his Win Shares system to rank the top 100 players at each position and provides an excerpt about the player or some other miscellaneous ranking/list/study.

The subject of MY historical baseball abstract is the online league of which I am a longtime member: the National Pastime Baseball League. I've been posting this series on the league messageboard and the owners loved them enough that they encouraged me to post them here. I'd like to get more exposure for this great league and hopefully recruit some great owners to join the league - right now there are openings in the league.

The NPBL is a non-financial league that has been simulating seasons from 2000 to (currently) 2076. In real-time, it's been going since 2002. A couple of the owners have been in place since the league's beginning and another 5-7 have been managing for 60+ sim years (and 10+ real years). Personally, I've been at the helm of the Massachusetts Patriots since 2006 (2003 or 2004 in real time). Suffice to say, there is a great core of owners and a lot of rich history which provides the basis for this series.

A couple of differences from Bill James' book: I have ranked the top 75 players at each position (as opposed to 100). Since I'm covering less years than James did, I think the proportionate talent is equivalent. Also, while James provides an excerpt for every single player, I'm only doing that for the top ten because 1) A lot of the pieces James provides are off-the-field stories and/or based on the players’ personalities or other things that just aren’t available in OOTP. 2) I don’t have the time.
Loompa17 is offline   Reply With Quote