View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
You couldn't do a stat for it but if you knew how much of a pitcher's war should go to the catcher on average as well as at each extreme, you could have an internal rating for it for each catcher that corresponds to the range you have established and then automatically subtract from the pitcher and add to the catcher whatever percentage of the war corresponds with his internal rating. It isn't something that would result from actual outcomes, it would just be inferred from the raw rating. Might be the best compromise available though.
I think we're talking about two different things. It sounds like you're talking about a pitch framing rating, which I don't have an argument against, other than I personally don't feel it's needed because it's already part of the catcher rating. But I can see why someone would want it and how it would affect a team's pitching staff.

I'm specifically talking about a pitch framing stat, which is what Argonaut asked for in the post I replied to. There's no way to quantify pitch framing in the game in a statistical sense when there are no pitch locations in the game. That's the point I'm trying to make.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote