View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #29
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
It depends on what the manager tells the umpire. If the person is announced to the umpire as a pinch hitter, then he is a pinch hitter. If the manager announces he is REPLACING the current batter in the field as well, then that batter is marked as the, let's say second baseman, at that time, even though he hasn't taken the field. It's all up to the manager. If he announces a pitching change in between innings (which no manager IRL should ever do) then the umpire is obligated to enter that person into the game at that spot and he is in fact, used up. And if he happens to be a pitcher on the umpires lineup card when the lead changes, he is the pitcher of record.
That's simply not true. The official scorer decides who is the pitcher of record, not the manager and not the umpire. And the scoring rules are very clear: the pitcher who completed the previous half-inning gets credit for all of the runs scored by his team in its offensive half of the inning, even if the manager takes the pitcher out of the game during that half-inning.

I'm confident that I'm right. But if you can point me to a rule that supports your position, I'll be happy to revise my opinion.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote