View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #28
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Nope.

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

A player who is inserted into the official lineup card is nothing but a pinch-hitter unless and until he takes the field. All of the runs scored by a team in an inning are credited to the last pitcher who threw a pitch. OOTP, in other words, gets it wrong in this situation.

This is, in fact, nothing new. The most common example I can think of is when a pitcher is injured on the last defensive play of an inning. OOTP immediately replaces the pitcher with a reliever, even though there's no need to name a new pitcher until the next defensive half-inning. So, for instance, with the scored tied and Pitcher A, the starting pitcher, on the mound, he pitches the top half of the eighth inning and is injured on the last play. OOTP immediately replaces Pitcher A with Pitcher B, a middle reliever. The home team then takes the lead in the bottom half of the inning. OOTP then replaces Pitcher B with Pitcher C, the team's closer. Pitcher C pitches a scoreless ninth inning. Who gets the win? According to OOTP, it's Pitcher B, even though he never threw a pitch.

The problem here and in the original post is that OOTP immediately replaces a pitcher with a reliever when that pitcher is removed from the game. I'm not sure how complicated it would be to code things so that the game doesn't do that, but it must be a huge challenge because it has been a long-standing bug that just won't go away.

It depends on what the manager tells the umpire. If the person is announced to the umpire as a pinch hitter, then he is a pinch hitter. If the manager announces he is REPLACING the current batter in the field as well, then that batter is marked as the, let's say second baseman, at that time, even though he hasn't taken the field. It's all up to the manager. If he announces a pitching change in between innings (which no manager IRL should ever do) then the umpire is obligated to enter that person into the game at that spot and he is in fact, used up. And if he happens to be a pitcher on the umpires lineup card when the lead changes, he is the pitcher of record.