View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #18
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

May 9th-May 15th

May 9th, 1903: New York's Joe Miller tossed a 4-hit shutout in a 4-0 win over the Mustangs.

We got today off, and would head to St. Louis for a quick two game set. We'd face all-world pitcher Jim McNiff (4-0, 1.36 ERA) and the crafty knuckleballer Matt Nesgoda (3-1, 3.74 ERA). This will be our toughest test of the year!

May 10th, 1903: Before today's game, the Lightning announced that they extended RF Julio Montes to a 5-year, $14,000 contract. Acquired from the Cajuns in a midseason trade back in 1898, he's spent his whole career with St. Louis and New Orleans.

We also activated Brett Olsen from the DL and optioned Josh Stevens back down to Class A Grand Rapids.

Olsen would be available off the bench as Jim McNiff (4-0, 1.36 ERA, 0.69 WHIP) would face Eddie Silva (1-4, 7.81 ERA, 1.86 WHIP) in one of the most uneven pitching matchups we'd have all year. St. Louis is probably the only team with a better offense then us, as their 2-3-4-5 of Jesus Zamora, Jordan Carillo, Chris Boyd, and Roy Brand is at par with our four stars in Sadante, Camargo, Arrington, and Salcido. Much to my surprise, the game was scorless after 7 and we actually scored first in the 8th. Hector Padilla had a solo shot and then Zamora hit a two run shot in the bottom of the 8th off Silva, and the Lightning went on to win 3-1.

Silva pitched 8, allowing 5 hits, 3 runs, a walk, and he struck out 3. If only he was pulled after 7...

Or even after the first homer...

Jesus Camargo was 1-for-4 with an RBI and Carlos Sandate was 1-for-4 with a steal and run sored. The run, however, was unearned due to Roy Brand's throwing error on Carlos' steal attempt.

May 11th, 1903: New York LF Adam Markley and Brooklyn LF Lyle Raymond were named Players of the Week.

The Lightning skipped Nesgoda in their rotation, and instead used another superstar in Eddie Long (5-1, 2.96 ERA, 1.01 WHIP) to face former Lightning 1st Rounder Vince Brown (4-0, 4.95 ERA, 1.23 WHIP). In a crazy back-and-forth affair, we held off a lake Lightning comeback, and escaped with a split in a 7-6 victory.

Is it clutch if you give up 2 in the 9th, but still win?

Any time you beat a team who was 25-8 is clutch in my book!

Brown pitched fine, 6 innings with 8 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Although to be fair, a lot of those hits wouldn't have happened if Legg and Camargo didn't make errors. Justin Pezzetti got 2 K's and allowed a hit in a 2 inning hold. Simon Ellingson "earned" a save, allowing 2 hits and 2 runs with a strikeout in the 9th.

Both Camargo and Legg made up for their errors, with the former going 2-for-5 with a double and solo shot and the latter going 2-for-4 with a run scored, double, and 3 RBI's. Jim Raines was 2-for-5 with a double. Damian Salcido was 1-for-4 with a walk, 2 runs, and solo homer. Brown was 1-for-2 with an RBI.

We'd stay in the Midwest as we traveled to Milwaukee for a four game set. Scheduled to start are Alberto Lucero (1-3, 4.14 ERA), Derrick Fullerto (1-3, 7.05 ERA), Sean Donald (3-4, 5.18 ERA), and Yeong-shin Kim (3-2, 4.91 ERA).

May 12th, 1903: The opener started with Lucero (1-3, 4.14 ERA, 1.38 WHIP) facing Cody Hall (2-1, 5.51 ERA, 1.41 WHIP). It was a rough start to the game, and we couldn't recover from a 7-0 deficit, dropping the opener 7-2.

Hall went 4 innings with 10 hits, 7 runs (5 earned), a walk, and 4 strikeouts. Salcido, Attilio, and Arrington all made errors in this overall sloppy game. Juan de Loera and Travis Walters combined for 4 innings with 2 hits (to de Loera) and a walk and 2 strikeouts from Walters.

Juan Vela went 3-for-4 with a solo shot. Brett Olsen was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Atillio was 1-for-4 with an RBI.

May 13th, 1903: We looked to quickly even up the series with Carlos Ramirez (1-4, 5.94 ERA, 1.47 WHIP) taking on Derrick Fullerton (1-3, 7.05 ERA, 1.68 WHIP). Ramirez beat the Mustangs earlier in the season, while Fullerton lost to us. Down 5-4 in the 9th, we managed to force extras, but Chad Carnes hit a walk-off sac-fly in the 12th, and we dropped game 2 6-5.

I really question my manager, as he let Ramirez pitch all 9 innings, allowing 5 hits, 5 runs (4 earned), 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts. Jeremy Gotwals got the loss, allowing 3 hits and the game winning run in 0.2 innings.

Muhan Yakin was 3-for-4 with a double and 2 runs scored. Jim Raines was 2-for-5 with a walk and run scored. Mike Legg was 2-for-5 with an RBI double. Justin Arrington was 1-for-3 with 3 walks, 2 steals, and a big solo shot in the 9th.

New York's Mike Stevner tossed a 9-hit shutout in a 6-0 win over the Lightning.

With all these crazy starting pitching outings, I even checked my settings, and the hook is set to default with use of relievers and pinch hit for pitchers at very often so I'm not sure what's going on.

May 14th, 1903: I tried really hard to trade for a starting pitcher, but the only one who was really available was Travis Adams, who's out for the year. There were also a bunch of really good and expensive players, but I just wasn't really feeling that. I ended up sending an offer to Washington, but I'm not sure it'll go through.

We really needed today's game, as D.J. Ruhnke (4-1, 3.00 ERA, 1.14 WHIP) faced Sean Donald (3-4, 5.18 ERA, 1.27 WHIP). In another high scoring affair, we prevented a total collapse, and edged out the hosts 7-6 to get our 20th victory on the season.

Ruhnke went 7 with 9 hits, 6 runs, 2 walks, and 7 strikeous. Jeremy Gotwals struck out 2 in the 8th for a hold and Simon Ellingson tossed a perfect 9th for the save.

Somehow, we managed to score 7 runs off just 5 hits and 2 walks. Damian Salcido was 2-for-4 with a solo homer and two run homer. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-4 with a pair of two run hoemrs. Justin Arrington was 1-for-4 with a run scored.

As a team, we only left one man on base, which I didn't think was possible. We left more men on base (3) when we got no-hit...

May 15th, 1903: We looked to earn the split as the amazing Eddie Silva (1-5, 7.08 ERA, 1.68 WHIP) took on Yeong-shin Kim (3-2, 4.91 ERA), who's making just his 2nd start of the season (11 relief outings). Luckily, we backed Silva with 21 hits, and we took the finale 12-6.

All 6 tuns were charged to Silva, pitching 5 innings with 9 hits, 2 walks, and 4 strikeouts. de Loera and Walters did their splitting the final 4 again, allowing 3 hits, 3 walks, but with 5 strikeouts.

We left 25 on base today, but I really didn't care about that!

CDamian Salcido continued his power surge, going 3-for-6 with 3 runs, 3 RBI's, and 2 solo shots. Carlos Sandate was 3-for-5 with an RBI double, three run homer, and stolen base. Juan Vela was 3-for-6 with a solo homer and 2 runs scored. Brett Olsen was 3-for-5 with a steal and 2 runs scored. Omar Atillio was 2-for-4 with a three run homer. Jesus Camargo was 2-for-6 with a walk and steal. Justin Arrington was 2-for-5 with 2 runs, a walk, and steal.

Before the day ended, I decided that I really needed to upgrade my rotation, and I added one of the better pitchers in the game, Nate McCue, from the New Orleans Cajuns. I sent them a nice package, SP Jesse Salvetti, SP Jose Morales, and LF Mike Choma.

McCue, 28, is having a great season, going 6-2 with a 2.69 ERA and 1.05 WHIP with 13 walks and 50 strikeouts in 73.2 innings. Rated a 3.5/4*, he's got plus-plus stuff, plus movement, and elite control. He's got elite stamina, throws an elite cutter and change with a plus-plus curve. The cutter grazes triple digits, but he's generally in the 96-98 MPH range.

As an impending free agent, I worked to get an extension signed.

To make room for McCue, I wished Eddie Silva good riddance, and DFA'd him.

McCue could get the start tomorrow in Cinncinati, where we'd see Evan O'Hagan (1-1, 4.50 ERA), Eric Thomas (4-3, 3.28 ERA), and Matt Puckett (4-3, 4.33 ERA).