View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Beginning of the Offseason

Last season, the Chargers finished 81-81 and 26 games behind the first place St. Louis Lightning who the previous GM left in really good shape...

Starting with the coaches, I am replacing everyone except by trainer, with four spots I didn't offer extensions and two spots (Hitting Coach and Scout) where I am firing the current guy. A bunch of minor league spots to fill up too.

On the Free Agent side, we're losing arguably are second best payer in 3B Angel Contreras who opted out and want's to test the Free Agent Waters. Luckily, he's a Type A Free Agent, so we'll recieve compensation for him. A few other guys will also file for Free Agency, but none of them are really that good. 11 guys are arbitration eligible, but I won't make offers until we hire a new scout.

Looking at the pieces on the big league roster, there is a single gem in SS Damian Salcido. The 21-year-old (22 in a few weeks) from the D.R. is rated a 4.5/5* and is one of the most complete players in the league. He's an elite defender with elite power and contact. He's super slow, but it doesn't stop him from having 99 range.

After that it's kind of bleek. 29-year-old RF Eric Creel is a great hitter, but he's always hurt. My owner wants him extended, I'll likely send the former 3rd Overall Pick packing. Another young building block is 23-year-old (almost 24) 2B Carlos Ruiz, but he has his injury problems as well and I'll likely look to flip him as well. He's got a ton of power, is a great defender at the keystone, and can really run on the bases.

On the pitching side it's a nightmare. D.J. Runke (2/4*) has potential, but the 25-year-old only has 10 control with 42 potential. His stuff is elite, but the chances of him reaching his lofty ceiling are very low. Josh Fisher is our best reliever, but the 23-year-old has the reprotroie of a starter, and will hopefully end up in the rotation in a year or two.

I hope my new (and better) scout will like these guys more...