Thread: Pick my MVP
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #20
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Apparently I'm just turning this into my dynasty report. Something about this team makes it impossible to quit playing with them.

After an easy first round win, I end up falling behind 3-0 to Atlanta! Then my offense wakes up with 12-0, 8-5, and 9-2 wins, going to crucial game 7. Go out ahead 2-0 in the first, then they tie it up. Then score 2 more to take a 4-2 lead, which quickly moves to a 5-3 lead that holds up to the 9th. They proceed to get 2 hits, and then Angel drops the ball at 1B, to load the bases. Next batter flies out, so now we have bases loaded 2 outs. Next batter hits it - line drive, to the left-center corner to score 2 runs and tie it up! And then the batter after hits it even deeper, but stays in the park, although another 2 runs come in.

Then in the bottom of the 9th, a walk and a couple outs has me down to the wire. Up next would be 69-HR Gonzalez, but he was taken out earlier for defense, so in steps my backup OF. He gets a single, to keep the rally alive. Then Angel, who dropped the ball in the top of the inning. Short fly to left, drops in! Runner scores, so we're now down 1, with 2 on and 2 outs. Due up next would be Tokko, although he was also taken out for defense. Thankfully it's Bowles up, who's no slouch in his own right. But he grounds weakly to SS, and thus ends my season.

Closer has been one of my nemesises for this team for a long time. Some years my guy does awesome, but others he just can't seem to hold onto a lead. 241 saves, but 51 blown saves in his career. Maybe I need to stop looking for 50-HR guys and start looking for a 50-save guy...

*edit: Oh, cool. So the team I lose to, Atlanta, ends up winning 3 game 7s in their playoff run, en route to their 4th World Series victory. Some clutch wins for them!

*edit2: And when I ask the AI for the end of season awards, they have them as Gonzalez, Angel, and then Ishii. Really is a hard call between the 3 of them! If we counted post-season, then Ishii probably would win, as he had a 1.465 OPS. Gonzalez had a .407 OPS until the last game, where he hit 2 HR. Hard to ask more from a guy in a game 7!

Last edited by Matt Arnold; 06-23-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote