View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #1927
Rocco Del Sesto
Hall Of Famer

Looking around the 1940s

Another bit of info about Johnny White that you can add to his bio if you wish. I happened about in the New York Times after looking at the Mauriello and White matchup and working on White, an article on a fight between Freddie Schott and a Freddie Fiducia. Schott I've heard/read of before but not Fiducia but found him in my data base. A heavyweight done originally by Mark Elwood. So I started looking at this fight and Fiducia as BoxRec noted with it that Fiducia was suspended along with his manager for 60 days after the Schott fight.

I found some other articles later the same week in the Times about this suspension and the reasons why. I'll cover Fiducia more next as I've started looking at his career to break down into MW, LHW and HW versions as he did fight in the lower divisions first earlier in his career including even down into very light divisions. While looking through the Fiducia articles in a couple of the articles talking about Fiducia's suspension some other fighters were investigated by the NYSAC for shall we say less than satisfactory fights as deemed by the commission in thier most recent bouts. One of those fighters was Johnny White!

The Sept 13, 1945 NYTimes ran an article after White's bout with Mauriello, in which White was called before the NYSAC along with Freddie Fiducia, Johnny Jones and Al (Bummy) Davis as the they were being investigated for having "unsatisfactorily" performed in each's respective recent fights. On Sept 15th then, it was announced in the Times along with Fiducia being suspended, Johnny White was suspended indefinitely. As it turned out, that indefinite period only lasted about 3-1/2 months as White was back in the ring in late January the next year against Comiskey.
Rocco Del Sesto is offline   Reply With Quote